Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the last of my three rough turned bowls. This one is from a blank of soft maple. It measures 12 1/4" x 3 1/2". I didn't leave that big of an edge on top like the other two, so I cut a spiral in it with a sorby spiralling tool.
I initially had two areas on the outside of the bowl with pretty bad tearout. I began a series of light shear scrape cuts starting with a sorby bowl gouge. It wasn't hardly getting rid of the rough spots. I then switched to a Thompson detail gouge and continued to shear scrape with it. It got rid of the tearout very nicely, enabling me to start sanding with 240 grit. Thanks Doug.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Very nice...I love the embellishments you've been doing recently. Been to busy on other projects to turn much lately...seeing your work is givin' me the itch. Hopefully tomorrow :yes:

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
Mike,
It's great to see a pretty piece of wood made prettier!
Really nice work.:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing...

p

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Registered
912 Posts
That piece sure has some beautiful curl in it. I love the rim!! Man you have been knocking it out of the park.

When you put the grooves in where you sign your name are you going back and coloring that in? The grooves look black and they really add a crispness that I like.

John

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That piece sure has some beautiful curl in it. I love the rim!! Man you have been knocking it out of the park.

When you put the grooves in where you sign your name are you going back and coloring that in? The grooves look black and they really add a crispness that I like.

John
John,
I cut the grooves then hit them with the edge of a laminate sample till they burn. Every once in awhile when I'm in home depot, I stop by the cabinet area and grab a handful of samples.
Mike;)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Mike, you have turned yet another great idea into a reality.

I can only say thanks for showing them & describing how you got there. As a beginner, it really helps me to see what forms work so I can set a target (i.e. try to copy somebody else's success ;))

ps. the other by-product of your post is that I have a detail gouge on order from Doug Thompson ... well, I had been thinking about it based on John Lucas's posts, but your comment about shear scraping away the tear-out sealed the deal!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts