Woodworking Talk banner

Thinking about trying some turning.

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  coffeetime 
#1 ·
About a year ago I got a 4ft lathe for the shop. At the time I mostly just got it for table legs and the like but now I’m thinking about trying some lathe work.
First I’m thinking about trying my hand at some bottle stoppers and am wondering what kind of a chuck I would need for them?

Also I’m looking for advice on any other simple and cheap projects I could practice with?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks Crazybear.
So It looks like all I would need is a drill chuck and a mandrel for them.

Any advice for looking into a drill chuck for the lathe?

Actually I’ve looked at some of the pen kits but they seem a bit too expansive for right now. May try them after I have some experience and know they can turn out half decent. ;)

#4 ·
Some guys use the jacobs chuck. others use the collet chuck you should have a look at both ad see what fits your budget better

For inexpensive pen kints try the slimline range to start off with, They are reasonable priced and give you plenty of practice. But you can turn out some VERY nice pens with them..Also as long as you dont glue the parts together you can take the kits apart and redo the blanks if one turns out a disaster

But you would also need to purchase a pen kit mandrel...see what I mean about the slippery slope:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

#8 ·
If you get the bottle stopper chuck (which is no more then a 3/8-16 stud on a mount that fits your lathe spindal) you can also make chess pieces. After you turn the chess piece you fill the hole for the chuck with lead shot then cover with a piece of self sticking felt for a nice bottom. I used this chuck for a lot of practice when I started.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.