Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I got a 4ft lathe for the shop. At the time I mostly just got it for table legs and the like but now I’m thinking about trying some lathe work.
First I’m thinking about trying my hand at some bottle stoppers and am wondering what kind of a chuck I would need for them?

Also I’m looking for advice on any other simple and cheap projects I could practice with?

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it is bottle stoppers that you are interested in there are some suppliers out there who sell Mandrels specifically for turning bottle stoppers

here is a link to a tutorial on how to make them
http://www.yoyospin.com/stopper/

But be warned that you are on a slippery slope towards pen making:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Crazybear.
So It looks like all I would need is a drill chuck and a mandrel for them.

Any advice for looking into a drill chuck for the lathe?

Actually I’ve looked at some of the pen kits but they seem a bit too expansive for right now. May try them after I have some experience and know they can turn out half decent. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some guys use the jacobs chuck. others use the collet chuck you should have a look at both ad see what fits your budget better

For inexpensive pen kints try the slimline range to start off with, They are reasonable priced and give you plenty of practice. But you can turn out some VERY nice pens with them..Also as long as you dont glue the parts together you can take the kits apart and redo the blanks if one turns out a disaster

But you would also need to purchase a pen kit mandrel...see what I mean about the slippery slope:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Longbow Is part of this books deal to try and get as many to sign up and buy it as possible, Do you get a cut of sales. The reason I ask is that you have a grand total of two posts and both of those are trying to sell us that book. Maybe its just my suspicious Former law enforcement officer mind

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree with you Crazybear :thumbsup: . Spam strikes again. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
That makes 3 of us :laughing:, message removed. Thanks guys. If you see stuff like this (no longer seen) hit the report a post. It is the ! below the posters profile on the side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you get the bottle stopper chuck (which is no more then a 3/8-16 stud on a mount that fits your lathe spindal) you can also make chess pieces. After you turn the chess piece you fill the hole for the chuck with lead shot then cover with a piece of self sticking felt for a nice bottom. I used this chuck for a lot of practice when I started.
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Crazybear

Once I get a chance I’ll see about ordering one of those and the stuff to try 20 bottle stops.
I’ll let you guys know how things go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I started bottle stops it didn't take long for me to run out of designs. I got my hands on a catalog that sold turned feet and finals. Loads of ideas there.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts