Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to build my self a new shop i plan to make a large shed / small barn i am going to be building it with heat and cooling and i want a loft in it any ideas on a good size for a shop

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had 20x24 for my first, 22x24 for the second, now I have 2500 sq. ft.
I would say at least 20x30 for a small wood shop. I would always want a ceiling over 8 feet.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Build the largest shop you can afford, whatever size you build will rarely be big enough......

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I wish I had high ceilings in my shop. Dug my shop out from under 100 year old barn and wanted a wood floor (arthritis). These must haves and the NH (aka granite state) landscape left me with 7ft ceilings. But I've learned to cope with the short 24 X 24 shop. I feel lucky when I see what little other folks have to work with.

Go as big as you can but remember the cost of ownership. Heat and ac cost money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
maple man said:
I would like to build my self a new shop i plan to make a large shed / small barn i am going to be building it with heat and cooling and i want a loft in it any ideas on a good size for a shop
I wish I had a shop in general. All I have is a rolling work table, with a table saw, miter saw, and a router table that I made myself that I roll into my drive way every time that I want to work. And I have to admit it gets annoying. It sucks working in the hot ass sun. But hey you have to do what you gotta do. Sorry for my rant

·
Registered
112 Posts
My father-in-law built his first shop about 10x12. Then he built his second shop next to the first shop, 12x16. Then he built an "annex" to the second shop where he stored all his scrap wood, that was roughly 6x12. Then he built his third shop, which was 16x32, a few feet away from the annex. Eventually he built an annex to the third shop, 8x16, to store things he no longer wanted in his big shop. He did lots of great work in there, and the string of buildings against the back property line was actually nice-looking, like a homestead back there. He died before he could build shop #4.

I think the moral is, build it bigger than you ever think you would want. Mine is 12x30 - 12' was the max width due to setbacks. My wife wanted me to build it 12x40. I wish I had.

Harry

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
Big enough to store rough sawn lumber that you have. Eight hundred board feet of cherry can take up a lot of space😀

1 - 9 of 9 Posts