Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what to do here... noticed the other day that my chuck was wobbling slightly which is a pretty big concern. I stopped the lathe and attempted to take off the chuck. It was more difficult than usual so I took a look at the threading on the headstock and noticed that two parts of the tread are damaged. Ive never cleaned the thing before and think I might have just messed up my chuck and my lathe. What could be causing a wobble in the chuck??? Only thing I could think of is the thread is causing more space in some areas and less in others causing it to wobble. So that said is there anything I can do about this, how do I do it, is that the most likely cause of a wobble or is there something else I should be looking at, and how do I stop this from happening in the future. Thanks in advance for any help IM FREAKIN OUT! Sure hope I didnt just ruin my machine/ chuck. Happy turnin,
Bond

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wish I knew more to help you out but at least the worst case would probably be a replaced spindle. I can't imagine that being too terribly costly.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Check the threads on your spindle, are they damaged? Is the insert in your chuck loose? Are it's threads damaged? That's where I'd check first. Is there play in the spindle? Does it run true w/o the chuck?

·
7,222 Posts
Sounds like you only have 1 chuck, so we cannot say "try another chuck".

The chuck being harder to remove does not necessarily mean bad threads. These puppies do get hard to remove from time to time.

Have you checked that the adapter between the chuck and headstock is tight? These can come loose.

Do you have a faceplate? If so, put this on the headstock and see if it spins without wobble.

You should have about 1in+ of thread length on the headstock. A small damage should not make the whole chuck wobble.

You need to try and eliminate variables to find the root cause.

·
Registered
106 Posts
+1 on all the other guy's suggestions. Just a thought though... You can usually clean up boogered threads with a small 60* triangular file.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Hi Bond --

Relax man ... it'll be okay ... honest :yes:

Remind us, what kind of lathe, and what kind of chuck? (Is it one of the chucks with an insert that adapts the chuck to the thread of your lathe headstock?)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A chuck should bottom out on the spindle. The mating of these two surfaces pulls it into alignment so the threads aren't a problem. Threads by nature have to have some slop or you wouldn't be able to screw the things on. If your chuck is not bottoming out it may wobble.
If the 2 mating surfaces aren't clean the chuck can wobble. If the chuck insert is damage or not seated all the way or simply is ground poorly it can cause wobble.
Clean all mating surfaces and screw the chuck on all the way so that the backside of the chuck insert seats against the back of the lathe spindle. Hopefully that will solve your problems.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
In addition to the other good suggestions..
+1 on trying a faceplate to see if it runs true first
If you have one of the plastic washers remove it.

Are the jaws tight, when I started I actually used a chuck until one jaws screw was missing and three others a half turn loose. Yep, it had lots of wobble.:icon_redface:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts