Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to be cleaning the shop today, it's been in a state of disarray. There was a chunk of cherry wood sitting on the lathe that was in the way. So I thought, I'll just put a faceplate on it and get it ready for some later time. So I did. Then I thought, might as well put it on the lathe so it doesn't fall off and hit the floor. So I did. Then I thought, maybe I should just rough it into a circle. Well it ended up being a bowl. I didn't intend to make it this thin, but a couple of catches and a redesign, and here it is. It is just over a 1/16" thick, about 3/16" on the bottom. It actually got a little thinner in one spot. If you look in the pictures, you'll see what I mean. I put it on my digital postal scale when I was done and it weighed 2.4 oz. It is about 8 1/2" in diameter, 3" tall. It flexes like a plastic bowl. Nice practice.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
SS user
2,690 Posts
Wow. You can never be too thin, I guess. That sure is nice, Mike. And it sure is thin, too. Purty little bowl.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thin is in

DANG Mike,now that is thin.I don;t see how you saved it,but you sure did a good job doin it.Pretty little piece there :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I hate to think how many times I've done that. Really great shape on that piece. the really good thing about turning thin is it helps you learn to control the shape and the cuts. Then you can make a better thick bowl.

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
That is definately thin Mike!!! :yes:

I had one that thin on the top once..... Then a friend picked it up to look at it and ...... it slipped and hit the floor ......:furious:. Now it is a shorter bowl :laughing::laughing:.

Be careful that thing doesn't hit the floor. It might flex like a plastic bowl now but keep it on solid ground.....

Great save!! :thumbsup:

Fred

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slat,
I do get catches.:laughing: I never thought this bowl would stay together till the finish. I even buffed the outside on the buffer. By that time, is was like a quest. It actually was a good exercise in control. I used many different types of cuts with a few different bowl gouges. Next time it won't be quite this thin.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nice job Mike! That looks pretty thin.:yes: That would scare the crap outta me at this point. Looks awesome with the light shining through.

John

·
Saw Dust Club Member
461 Posts
You have the touch of a butterfly landing with sore feet.....how about turning it into an exotic lamp shade? The glow really gives is a unique look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts