Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using my planer and i didnt realize it was getting clogged. When i stopped the hose was full all the way to my dc. Why would that happen? Is it because of the planner is overloading it? Or is it in how i built it?

·
7,222 Posts
Not a lot of information for others to attempt a diagnosis.

A picture may help.

What size hose?
How many fittings and of what type are in the line?
What size Dust Collector?

Adding anything in the line between the machine and the dust collector has an impact of the pressure drop of the system and hence an impact on the airflow, both of which have an impact on the ability to remove the chips and dust.

I do not have an airflow meter. I just have to use the old hand over the port to feel the suction pressure at the port. The more suction pressure, the more airflow you are getting at the port.

Try the hand at the port with the present system. Temporarily removed the Thien separator and try again. I expect you will feel the difference.

If you have increased the pressure drop in the line, you will have caused a reduction in airflow. I think the reduced airflow is not able to keep the large chips from a planer at high enough velocity to avoid falling out of the stream. As they fall out, they start to block the flow, lower velocity means more fall out, and soon blockage.

In the last year I had a campaign in my shop to reduce the number of fittings and changes of direction. I changed short radius 90 deg fittings for long radius fittings. I removed a Y adapter, I changed some 90 deg fittings to 45 deg fittings. I shortened the lengths of the flexible hose. I even mounted the blower on the wall so it is now a straight shot into the collar of the dust collector. I had a large increase in suction and flow at all the ports. I only have a 4in line.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
was the collector with the thien hat completely full as well?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the lack of info. HF 1hp dc. 4in hose. In the seperator i use 3in pvc not realizing the drain pvc 4in is closer in size. My planer has a 2 1/2 port. I used a reducer from the 4 in hose to 2 1/2. It was full all the way to the DC motor but the barrel still had room to fill up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It sounds like there isn't enough air flow through the hose to carry the chips. Has this setup worked before and the clog is a new experience?

Reactions: del schisler

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I has worked with great airflow. I used it once before with the planer. Got a little clogged but theis time i was running larger board and more passes. Could it be the3in pvc in the top of the TC? Should i try to rplace it with the pvc 4in drain?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave i left the hoses full length. I have been trying to get the 4in drain ran in the rafters before i cut it. I want to make sure everything is working properly before going through all that trouble.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Actually the problem may be with the 2 1/2" DC port. I would open that up. That might be a little tinkering or complete replacement but 2 1/2" just isn't going to allow very much air movement. After that I'd consider redoing the separator with 4" instead of 3.

Reactions: del schisler

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a temporary fix to ky clogginh problem. I just ran a 2 1/2 hose into a barrel and covered it. I knew it would fill up fast. Worked great. I think i will do this from now on when i know im running alot of passes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts