Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thickness sander feeding issue- updated with pictures

Machine is a Reliant open end sander model DD150?
It has varible speed feed it worked when first tried it with oak.
Then I was burning wood so I upped to a coarser grit paper, worked ok.
Next time using with pine I noticed it did not want to feed well. I think there was some messing around with the tension, which was adjusted back tighter. I also notice I will be cleaning and polishing and greasing the (NON-bearing containing) rotating shaft on the non drive side. was quite sticky.

Main question:
The machined work surface is quite rough. Not just rust which will be fixed and did not look like a issue. The machining marks, looks like a board after ripping with an 8" coarse tooth blade. Could that be a likely issue? I do not want to spend 4 hours plus trying to take off the higher surfacing marks if it is no chance the issue. I thought I would polish the bed with like Flitz, but it does not need a 1500 grit polish if it has 10 grit lines in it.

The drive spindle has not been looked at yet. What surface texture is most desirable?

Thanks
Troy

·
7,222 Posts
I for one am not able to understand the issue without pictures.

Pine can have resins which can gum up the paper or cause slipping.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
That sander is probably not familiar to many of us. Like Dave said, some pics of the machine and your problem would really help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fixed the galling on the driven roller, smooth 1000 grit finish with the low spots filled. I hand wire brushed the drive roller with the traction cuts machined into the roller. It looks and feels like it will have more gripping ability.
I attempted to power wire brush the machined top to remove/polish some of the high spots. Mistake! This actually removed more grit, rust, paint or whatever was in the low points to cause MORE variation in height. Just tested a small area so not too big of an issue.
My possible solutions
1- Just sand the surface and make the high milling spots a very smooth finish.
2- Add some type of low spot filler. Any thing from JB weld to paint http://www.agspecialty.com/EZslide.htm. Then sand that an even height smooth finish.
3- just put it back together, It could have been the poor lubricated shaft, the clogged drive roller, the rust on the be or the back of the drive sand paper, or the stretched drive sand paper.
Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not exactly sure what that last pic is showing....and at this point I'm lost as to what the problem is. Everything you've done so far needed done regardless. When you say it doesn't feed well, is it possible the feed belt is slipping (which would also cause burning)?

·
7,222 Posts
+1 about the picture not being obvious.

I am guessing that is a closeup of the motor which powers the feed roller. If so, then the shaft is broken. Hence the belt is not being rotated so no power feeding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That is the conveyor motor. The shaft you see there
should be about another inch longer. That part is twisted off and still in the roller.

I tried to crop and make a pointer but that silly tie it the best pointer my phone let me do.

Any thoughts on repair parts. Just the shaft with gear is needed, but might have to purchase whole motor if avail?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a Delta drum sander and to honest I don't waste my time with sanding pine. Pine fills the grit almost immediately. I use a gum rubber cleaner, but you just end up spending too much time cleaning. Usually, I machine plane and then just use a 6 inch orbital sander with different paper grits. On hard wood the sander works fine. You just need to keep in mind that sanding with these machines is very time consuming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts