Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the dewalt, I'm sure they are both great, I love mine. I am tired of buying knifes so I'm going to invest in a shelix head. If you can afford more look in to the grizzley 15" planer it comes with a shelix head. Will save money in knifes in the long run.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the heavy duty dewalt 13 inch and I just picked up a 30 year old belsaw 5 H.P. 910 off Craigslist. The belsaw was 400 and is practically new and the dewalt was 650 and was new. That belsaw is a wicked machine. That thing blows the doors off the dewalt. But the dewalt is portable and the belsaw is most certainly not. It depends on what you need it for. If its for the shop i would recommend getting a powerhouse that accepts moulding knives. I wish I did that first, it would have saved me 650 bucks. but for portability, the dewalt isn't bad, kinda heavy though, around 100 lbs.

And don't ya hate these i gadgets, i noticed you have the same problem. Every time i try to spell dewalt I get either desalt or dealt. Damn you apple...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
dewalt 735 is the best 13" bench top planer around today. can be pricety and needs the optional in/out feed tables to tame snipe. ridgid 4331 is a best value in comparative tests.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Between your choices, I think I';d go with the Ridgid. Delta seems to be having some merger pains right now and you don't want to wind up in a confusing mess if you have a problem. I'm a big Delta fan, just not at the moment (with new tools).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi!
We also use a 30 year old belsaw, and we love it :thumbsup:!
It is used very often and with no wear and tear outside of sharpening the knives now and then! Very sturdy!
Sears also branded the Belsaw as Craftsman...same basic machine.
Sadly, these are out of production and need to be purchased as old arn :yes:!
Best,
Marena and Vinny

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
toolguy1000 said:
dewalt 735 is the best 13" bench top planer around today. can be pricety and needs the optional in/out feed tables to tame snipe. ridgid 4331 is a best value in comparative tests.
When I was researching planers, I read these exact findings in many sources. I ended up buying the DeWalt, but only cause I got the DW735x which comes with an extra set of knives, both indeed/Outfeed tables and the DeWalt palm router ($125 value) all for $579 shipped to my house. Couldn't beat the deal from Rockler. If it weren't for the deal, I was ready to drop the ball on the Rigid unit, which 2 coworkers have and love. They went with it for the warranty, which is why I was gonna get it.

BTW, the biggest reason I ever considered the DeWalt was its is ready for having next to no snipe. I find this completely false. I have found that regardless I get 6" or so snipe on both ends. This is with my tables adjusted per table and additional support roller feeds.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.