Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on which machine is better?
I will be buying one, yet ... not sure which would be the better one.

First model is s Ridgid Model R4331 --- 13 in 15 amp 9,000 rpm (linky).
The other model is a Dewalt DW735X --- 13 in 15 amp 10,000 rpm (linky).

Any thoughts on these?
I am a hobbist... so I will be under-qualified for both machines in the forseeable future.

Some additional info:
The Ridgid is available locally,... so I don't pay shipping. $489 + $56 tax === $545 total
The Dewalt I can only get it at Amazon for $597 + $211 of shipping + $68 tax === $876 total

Leaving price out of this... any preference?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The DeWalt 734 is actually comparable to the Ridgid.
I have had the DW734 for years and I like it. My DW734 gives me a glass smooth finish. It's usually in stock at home depot too.

The 735 is a step up, mostly because of two speeds and a longer main bed. I didn't feel like paying $250 more at the time for the 735.

High shipping costs! Because you're in PR?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I held out for a DeWalt DW735 until the right deal came along. I wasn't interested in the Ridgid R4331 or the DeWalt DW734 (or lesser models). I like it very much. The reasons I wanted a DeWalt DW735 were:

* Three blades. The planers mentioned above use three blades, but some other planers use only two blades.

* Automatic locking mechanism. You crank it to the height you want without thinking, and it locks in position automatically. You don't have to remember to lock it before you run a board through, or unlock it when you want to adjust height. I frequently run a board through the planer, measure or test fit it, crank the handle a tiny bit, run it through again, measure again ... repeat. That run/crank/run/crank process (without lock/unlock) makes fine tuning board thickness easy. ... And yeah, "You can plane, but you can't un-plane" still holds true. :)

* A built-in, powerful, chip ejection blower. The output is less likely to jam up with sawdust and chips. The other models did not have it.

* Two speeds. None of the others had it. It seemed like an important feature and I was excited to get it, but in practical use it is not as essential as I thought. It is nice to have, and it does make a difference. If I were more of a "production shop" where speed and efficiency mattered more, it would help.

* It is very popular, which means that there are many sources for blades. Blades will be available for a long time. Shelix cutters are also readily available and would make it a quieter, superior planer. (It would be hard for me to justify the additional cost for myself.)

* Solid construction. It is solid and well-built. The low/boxy, deeper stance of the mechanism with the height adjustment screws in the far corners gives it a solid, level feel and look.

* Everybody I knew in the local woodworking community recommended it over all other models. There was no question about that.

I have had it for three years and I use it often. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Lowes or Home Depot in PR?
Home Depot... yet they don't bring that model to the island.

The other Home Depot option: having it shipped to the store or a physical address. Well, that doesn't work because Home Depot states in their web page they can't ship the item to Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, or Guam.

I tried to run around that by calling Home Depot 1-800, yet same answer. I asked in-store to a friendly store manager, and I was told "I want to help, but can't."

Sooo... the bookseller it is!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the Dewalt DW735X and I am liking it so far. The chip blower really throws the waste. I had to make a PVC system to throw it all in a garbage can.
It has worked great for the little things I do around my garage shop. It is 13 1/2 inches wide and has the flip down extended bed. Also came with a stand and extra blades on sale for $649

Good Luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am just a hobbyist, so my experience is just with one planer, the 735X. I am frankly amazed as to how much wood I have processed in the last 2 years with it on one set of blades. Having just replaced the blades, I can say it was an easy job, and that I should have replaced them sooner than I did. The chip extraction has been flawless running in conjunction with a Jet dust extractor and 4" hose. A repair guy at my local tool store suggested I buy it as he says it is a "work horse". There are better high end planers out there for sure, but for newbies, it works just fine.

Reactions: AJ.

·
Registered
281 Posts
the 735 is a completely different planer than most other benchtop planers. It's without a doubt the best 12-13 planer out there IMO. You'll probably not be disappointed with a Ridgid or DW734. But you'll be thrilled with a DW735.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had both. First one was the Dewalt I used the snot out of it for years. I am now using the Ridged and honestly I don't have a preference. I would go with whatever the easiest and cheapest is to get to get

·
Registered
Termite
4,548 Posts
Service and warranty would be my first look if I was looking at whichh is better....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up ordering the Dewalt 735.

It arrived about two weeks ago.
It's actually still in the box, waiting for wood to dry... so I can build a nice cart for it that puts it at 34-1/2" of height.

:)

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,770 Posts
Just curious..are there any listings in the PR Craigslist? I bought a Ridgid 3 blade heavy ass beast on craigslist for much less than retail. Runs great..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,770 Posts
I ended up ordering the Dewalt 735.

It arrived about two weeks ago.
It's actually still in the box, waiting for wood to dry... so I can build a nice cart for it that puts it at 34-1/2" of height.

:)
Ahh..you mean you don't want to have to lug that heavy piece of machinery around every time you want to use it like I do? (I AM getting tired of that by the way)

·
Registered
50 Posts
AJ
If you don't want to to build a cart, you can get the DeWalt 3 wheeled cart for that planer. I removed the wheels and welded a 4 point roller system on it with locking casters. Now it will roll over concrete control joints that the dinky stock wheels wouldn't. The 34.5" height may be a bit of a challenge though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just curious..are there any listings in the PR Craigslist? I bought a Ridgid 3 blade heavy ass beast on craigslist for much less than retail. Runs great..
Yes Sir!
Craigslist is here... yet very low traffic.
There's a local website that has been the go-to place since about 20 years ago.
I check that one constantly... yet it's overrun by new-condition tool sellers.

So far I haven't had luck... yet I do check frequently.

I'm sure I will luck into a machine sometime in the future.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh..you mean you don't want to have to lug that heavy piece of machinery around every time you want to use it like I do? (I AM getting tired of that by the way)
Haha!
When I saw the weight, I knew I had to do a cart for it.

If I can use it easily, I'll use it more often!
I will post up photos of the "finished" cart.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AJ
If you don't want to to build a cart, you can get the DeWalt 3 wheeled cart for that planer. I removed the wheels and welded a 4 point roller system on it with locking casters. Now it will roll over concrete control joints that the dinky stock wheels wouldn't. The 34.5" height may be a bit of a challenge though.
Thanks for the idea!

I bought some plans for a wood cart from Jay's Custom Creations. His are the plans he used to build his PantoRouter cart.
I'll modify it slightly in order to properly accomodate the Dewalt 735 planner.

Will post photos when done!

·
Registered
50 Posts
AJ
Just an FYI.
I measured the height on my Dewalt planer table with 4" caster wheels. It was 33.5 inches. Just in case your plan doesn't work out, just adding a 1" thick base to a base like mine would meet your desired height.

·
Registered
Termite
4,548 Posts
If you make a dedicated cart I'd really look into options. I wish mine wasn't factory and was bigger to store things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts