Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just dipping my toe into the world of woodworking and decided to make a Jay Bates style workbench. I've ripped my 2x10s in half but I would really love to run them through a planer to smooth them out a little before I glue them up. Problem is that I don't have one and can't justify spending that kind of $$$ just yet. Does anyone know of a place I can go to rent one for the day in the ATL area? I can find handheld planers all day but that's not exactly what I think I need.

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
You might call around different cabinet shops and ask them if they would surface the wood for you. If it's new wood they shouldn't object to it other than maybe they are too busy to help you.

·
Administrator
David
5,698 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel. Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you.

Atlanta probably has several Maker Shops where you can rent time and do it yourself. I'd check there if Steve's suggestion pans out.

There is a cabinet shop about 10 minutes from the house and they have a 24" planer and a 36" wide belt sander that he has used to surface a few boards for me. I went at the end of the day when they were winding down and they just did it while I waited.

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea for a board or two but unfortunately I've got 24 boards. I kind of doubt they'd like for me to tie up a machine for an hour or more to run both faces through. Certainly worth keeping in mind for the future though. Thanks!

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
I like the idea for a board or two but unfortunately I've got 24 boards. I kind of doubt they'd like for me to tie up a machine for an hour or more to run both faces through. Certainly worth keeping in mind for the future though. Thanks!
They wouldn't let you run their planer. You would just probably drop off the wood and they would call you when it's ready.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts