Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any experience with woodworking but I'm in the process of converting a Nissan NV2500 High Roof van into a campervan and I want to work on adding a kitchenette, cabinets, a closet and a bed frame.

I searched online about the proper plywood (I'm using Birch Plywood) thickness for making cabinets and I saw suggestions to use 1/2" and 3/4", I was planning on bolting all the structures to the steel frame of the van using rivnuts (possibly plusnuts) and bolts so none of them will have to support their own weight.

My question is do I need to use such a thick plywood or can I get away with 1/4" since it'll be bolted to the frame?

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
1/4" is likely to sag under weight. I know you're not supposed to put your elbows up on the table when you eat, but you'd really not want to do that with a 1/4" surface. :wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Would 1/2" be sufficient for that or do I have to use 3/4"? Is Birch a good choice for such a project?

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
1/2" will probably work for most of the carcass work. Will be design specific. However, depending upon length and w eight of items of a shelf it may require 3/4".

For a bed frame you will need at least 3/4".

George

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
The pounds add up as you add more and more wood so always go with the minimum thickness you can get away with, even 1/8" panelling on a 1X1 or 1X2 frame can be used for cabinet walls. etc. All added weight contributes to the cost and safety of operation, take a look at some commercially built units for ideas on saving weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.