Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on some of the methods you guys might use to create a tabletop similar to the one shown below...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Well....you could buy 8/4 stock, laminate to 4/4 or 5/4 stock together.....or just laminate edges thicker to give the appearance without the weight.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Am I missing something? That doesn't look particularly thick to me. It looks like a standard thickness with some chamfering or rounding on the edge. What is it you're trying to get to, thickness wise?

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Maybe that's it. I consider that to still be in the range of "standard" as I see lots of tables with thicker tops like that. All relative I guess.

Either way, jjm, there are several ways to achieve the look of that top. How heavy do you want it to be? How much work do you want to do? What tools do you have? What is your experience level? Lots of options.

Personally, I'd just use some 6/4 wood and join it up at that thickness and route/plane to the shape I wanted. Or you can just edge band it with some thick wood with the majority of the surface being thinner, like Ryan suggested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. 6/4 is the thickness I'm shooting for. I agree on using solid/thicker wood throughout. 1 1/4" radius roundover bit on the edges?

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
That doesn't look like a symmetric roundover bit to me, but I could be wrong. Looks like the top edge is sharp with a rounding over as it drops toward the case. You can probably do it with a roundover bit offset somewhat, but I suspect there's a better option with a specific bit, if you're willing and able to shop a little for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts