Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of looking online and reading about the Grizzly 690 and 1023 (special thanks to MT Stringers posts), I just purchased the 1023RLW, mobile base, and ZCI. It was a real toss up but the router wing sold me. I was in the garage framing up a storage rack for some shelves and though how nice it would to have a table saw to make some drawers.

I came inside and called Grizzly. 3-5 days is going to be a really long time.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I received the saw yesterday and started putting it together at 4am this morning. Its all together but man there are a lot of issues with it. I contacted customer care to see what they can do and was sent to a tech. A new top was offered but there is a lot of other issues. I have to send photos and wait. I was told I may be 1st in line or 20th. The kicker is, I was told not to use it. Looks like mine was built on a Friday. HAHAHA I just hope they make it right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It cabinet had a lot of chips and touch up paint but I kept saying, "its only a tool". The motor door is misaligned and you have to force it closed with one hand and try to latch it with the other. One side of the fence is scratched and the main table top has a gouge that needs to be filed down. Those are the little issues that all added up and make me a little unhappy. Is that too picky? The big issue is the miter gauge, once adjusted fits fine in the right tack. Once I ran it through the left side track, it got stuck. I had to pound it out with my fist. Even with the adjustment screws backed out there is a lot of drag.

I was hoping to have better luck with my fist table saw.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is a really unfortunate first experience to have with a brand new TS - I hope they get it right and make you happy. I own the G1023RL (I think I may have chimed in when you were deciding) and I can't get over how wonderful this saw is. For what it's worth, my motor door doesn't swing perfectly closed - I think I've bent it a few times moving the saw around, but it is flexible and you don't need to open it more than once in a blue moon. That miter track is a deal breaker though, it needs to glide easily to be safe. Have you tried spraying some cleaning solution into the track and running some paper towel back and forth? Some Simple Green usually does the trick for me when I'm trying to de-gunk stuff, or WD40 if that fails (but you'll have to degrease after, don't leave oils on that surface).

Once it is all assembled and square/flat/true, I use acetone to degrease the surface thoroughly and then apply paste wax (wax on, wax off... etc). Buff it out and you won't see rust crop up easily, and it will glide nicely without making your pieces hard to finish!

Hang in there, once you get it all set up and turn it on that first time... it is so worth the effort :thumbsup: Now I need to get home from work so I can cut something, I miss my TS hehe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than those problems, the saw is really nice. The blade was dead on and the fence was near perfect once I shimmed it. The fence does lean a little in but I may be able to shim that out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It cabinet had a lot of chips and touch up paint but I kept saying, "its only a tool". The motor door is misaligned and you have to force it closed with one hand and try to latch it with the other. One side of the fence is scratched and the main table top has a gouge that needs to be filed down. Those are the little issues that all added up and make me a little unhappy. Is that too picky?

absolutely not. you paid for it with real money, they should provide the product they represented. if they don't do whatever it takes to satisfy you with your new saw, contest the charge, that usually get's their attantion

The big issue is the miter gauge, once adjusted fits fine in the right tack. Once I ran it through the left side track, it got stuck. I had to pound it out with my fist. Even with the adjustment screws backed out there is a lot of drag.

not a good sign!

I was hoping to have better luck with my fist table saw.
Other than those problems, the saw is really nice. The blade was dead on and the fence was near perfect once I shimmed it. The fence does lean a little in but I may be able to shim that out.
inconsistent miter slots, fence requiring shimming, damaged paint job, scratched fence, misaligned motor cover. doesn't sound like a new saw. i'd probably have refused delivery.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I agree....send it back and either pick a different one or request a replacement t.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
inconsistent miter slots, fence requiring shimming, damaged paint job, scratched fence, misaligned motor cover. doesn't sound like a new saw. i'd probably have refused delivery.
Hard to refuse delivery when you can't see what is in the box. See example of the same model saw when it was delivered to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
mt stringer said:
hard to refuse delivery when you can't see what is in the box. See example of the same model saw when it was delivered to me.

3120box_cutter.jpg

·
Registered
994 Posts
Most defects are hard to spot even if you crack open the box. I know from experience, and I'm sure the manufacturers do as well, that these saws aren't easy to refuse or send back once the flaws are found unless you live next to the store you bought it from.

I hope you get your issues resolved. I had to engineer my own solutions but am greatly enjoying my saw now.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Wow!

Is it just me? You guys paid good money for saws then have to work out the bugs and live with dents, dings and doors that don't operate correctly, badly machined miter slots etc?!

It's outrageous!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
You could try making a few passes with a file to the sides of the mitre gauge slots. I had to do that to band saw table once and it was fine. I would definitely voice your displeasure with customer service. Be sure to let them know you will share how the issue is resolved with people on social media.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I was putting it together I kept finding little things here and there. I remained calm because I knew they would happen sooner or later. I sure was thinking I paid a lot of money for it to look the way it did. The straw that broke the camel's back was the miter slot. I really thought about filing down the slot but I paid for a new one so I shouldn't have work on this one. They did offer a new top but that leaves all the work on me. If I have to take it apart then put it back together, I may as well just put one together.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Good for you.

Manufacturers will serve up garbage only as long as consumers are willing to eat it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When my 1023RLW was delivered, the Fedex driver was great. The outside box was pretty thrashed, but he helped me get it in the garage, we unboxed it together and we both checked it for damage. Everything was perfect. The Driver asked if I was ok with everything and when I said yes, he helped me take it off the pallet and he took all of the cardboard and pallet back to the truck.

My question to you all, I didn't tip him, should I have???

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
It may be against the "rules"

But I would have offered anyway. That was incredible service. :thumbsup:
You can/should put in a commendation on his record which may mean even more. A case of their favorite beer goes a long way sometimes ...... :yes:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
What Bill said

1 - 20 of 28 Posts