Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
:blink: You my friend, have gone in WAY too far!!! Put down the plane and back away from the bench!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cabinetman,
I believe it was a started in the early Paleojuramastic period when man had just begun to stand upright. Two things were always on the mind of this early humanioid (toolus havenoneus), it was woman and food. The early cavewoman would daily send out our hero and he would mutter to himself "woman/food" "woman/food" all day long as he hunted and gathered. This went on for quite some time until man decided that he needed just something else to think about. One day on the path he tripped over a large dead stick. He picked it up. Looked it over very carefully and decided after several minutes that this might be useful. But what would he call it. Having a primitive intellect and more primitive vocabulary, he decided to go with what he knew "wo man/ fo od" Eureka! "WO OD" "WOOD" yes this was good. "Wood/woman/food"
Just goes to show just how far we have come. huh?!

Scott A. Mordecki/Nailgunner7
http://fallentimber.mysite.com

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I'd share this response I got from another forum:

My understanding of the derivation of the word "wood" originated around 40,000 years ago. Og was trying to make a good spear point for hunting that would penetrate the think hide of the wooly mammoth and yet be easily portable. So it would fit his hand, he rolled a log up and down a rocky hillside, wearing the bark off and creating a relatively round shape.After all the work, Og found out that the spear was too long and decided to remove about 10 cubits of length - that'll teach him - tree was too tall! After much thought, Og decided to put the spear down by the prehistoric beaver pond in the hopes that the beavers would chew through the spear and shorten it. After a week, Og returned to the pond and found the spear chewed off to a length of about 8 cubits! And the end of the spear now had a nice point on it to boot!
Og and is best buddy, Gog went hunting with the new spear. They stalked, walked and crouched around for days, but no wooly mammoth were to be found. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a large bird flew over them and started circling to catch a updraft. "Throw at bird," screamed Gog! "Wood hit me in head," answered Og.
And that is the rest of the story.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Speaking of trivia....

The table saw,apparently,was invented in 1810 by Sister Tabitha Babbit of the Harvard Shakers. :yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts