Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently took on a coffee and end table project for our house. We looked at pictures and picked a set we liked. I had a bunch of extra ash still. So the plan was to dye the ash dark walnut and for the center of the table and the aprons use a sheet of maple ply finished natural. Skip ahead I have all the materials bought cut sanded and ready to assemble. I assemble the coffee table and she hates it she doesn't like the two tone look. So here's the question. Since I already got everything done for the end table id like to still just use those and only make a new coffee table. Hoe hard would it be to achieve the same color on the sheet of maple ply and the ash. I have transtint dark walnut and eboney. Honestly the ply and the ash are almost the exact same start color, but I'm afraid they will react differently to the dye any tips.

BTW heres a pic of the table sorry for the crappy lighting.

Furniture Table Workbench Desk Wood

The reason it doesn't have the trim on most of the aprons is because it already recieved the stamp of disapproval.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
You could try some dyes to get a similar color, being dark. With dyes, you can reapply dye to a previous application. Try on some samples. You may wind up with two different mixes to achieve the same (or close to the same) color on both species.

When you think you are there, apply your planned topcoat to the samples, as that will change the look.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
Not always

In another life I worked for Rockler.

One Saturday a guy comes in looking for stain. I probably opened 6 cans of stain and smeared a bit on a piece of oak. Finally he picked the one that he wanted. I suggested that he go outside and look at the color in the sunshine just to be sure. That's the one he wants and he buys it.

Fast forward to Sunday. They guy comes back with his wife. The wife takes the can of stain and receipt and sort of slams it on the counter. She looks at me and hisses, "We need to exchange this." The guy has a "I don't have a clue look on his face." I take the can, set it next to the register and say, "Just get what you need."

About 10 minutes later, I'm checking out another customer when the woman comes back with another can of stain. A co-worker is working the other register and starts to help the couple. I explain to the co-worker that it is an exchange and that the returned product is next to the register.

As I finish up with my customer I sense some hostility at the other register. My co-worker is asking the woman what is wrong with stain. She keeps saying it is an exchange. Finally my co-worker explains that it is necessary to tell the manufacturer what is wrong with the stain when it is returned.

The woman looks at him and hisses, "It's the wrong color." Then my co-worker really steps in it saying, "But you're exchanging it for the same color."

The woman is furious, takes the original can and storms out of the store. The husband looks at us and without making a sound mouthed the words, "Thank You".

So the wife is not always right.

·
Registered
28,400 Posts
I think the color would match up alright. The biggest difference you would have is the different grain and texture. The ash has a open grain where the maple is closed. If you don't want to go that dark you might use some bleach on the ash and lighten it up some before you stain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey rrich,

I felt like deja vu, can you just imagine a man walking into a fabric store with a bolt of fabric, wife in tow, slams down the bolt of fabric and says, "I want to exchange this"!
Girl at the counter says, what is wrong with it, "Wrong Color", well you picked it out, "NO" my wife picked it out, and WE don't like it.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
Hey rrich,

I felt like deja vu, can you just imagine a man walking into a fabric store with a bolt of fabric,
Again, at Rockler.

A girl comes in, probably mid 20s. It is Father's Day.

She says, "Sell me some wood."

I had a puzzled look on my face.

She says, "My dad is a woodworker and I want to get him some wood for Father's day."

I explained that she wouldn't go over to JoAnn and buy some fabric for your Mom for Mother's day. I explained that first would be the pattern, then the notions and fabric with the thread being the final choice.

I could see that the light came on and asked "What should I do?"

My suggestion was a gift card and I would give her a catalog. I explained that he would get 2 or 3 hours of looking through the catalog trying to figure out how to spend the gift card.

She got a gift card and as she was leaving she said, "You understand a lot about women." :laughing:

·
Registered
12 Posts
A while ago I built my wife a coffee table with curly maple top and legs, and walnut aprons. She didn't like it much and wanted one that was all curly maple. I pointed to the workshop and said "Go build one then." We still have the original, but it was quite quiet around here for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.