Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
"Ultimate Sharpening Jig"

Sorry but IMHO there just ain't no such thing. :blink:

The biggest problem with any of those types of jigs is that the stone must be flat and both sides parallel.

If you really want that style of jig, I would think that you could build one yourself from scraps of hardwood very easily.

As for sharpening, if you ask one woodworker what is the ultimate sharpening method, there will be twenty other woodworkers butting into the conversation telling you why the answer is wrong. :eek:

BTW - The ultimate sharpening method is the one that works best for you and your pocketbook. :thumbsup:

BTW2 - It doesn't matter what my ultimate sharpening method is because it's wrong. :laughing:

Reactions: Stick

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Ultimate Sharpening Jig"

Sorry but IMHO there just ain't no such thing. :blink:

The biggest problem with any of those types of jigs is that the stone must be flat and both sides parallel.

If you really want that style of jig, I would think that you could build one yourself from scraps of hardwood very easily.

As for sharpening, if you ask one woodworker what is the ultimate sharpening method, there will be twenty other woodworkers butting into the conversation telling you why the answer is wrong. :eek:

BTW - The ultimate sharpening method is the one that works best for you and your pocketbook. :thumbsup:

BTW2 - It doesn't matter what my ultimate sharpening method is because it's wrong. :laughing:
To be sure you make some good points. With that said, I might just look around the shop and see what kinds of spare parts and wood I have and try to make one on my own... just for the heck of it.

For the record, I do use the DMT 11 X 2 or 3 stones and sharpen my plane irons with a jig that rides on the stone itself. The problem is the stone is wearing down the brass "wheel" and I'm trying to find something that does not have to ride across the sharpening surface. Not to mention it leaves a horrible mark on my $80 DMT stone....

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Again, this just my opinion and what works for me. I've been learning to sharpen freehand and it's not as hard as many would have you believe. I do the secondary bevel and sometimes tertiary bevel. I have 2 jigs, the Veritas MkII and a simple side grip to use if I need to re-establish my primary bevel. I also have a slow speed grinder primarily for my lathe gouges but can re-establish a bevel here if needed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Again, this just my opinion and what works for me. I've been learning to sharpen freehand and it's not as hard as many would have you believe. I do the secondary bevel and sometimes tertiary bevel. I have 2 jigs, the Veritas MkII and a simple side grip to use if I need to re-establish my primary bevel. I also have a slow speed grinder primarily for my lathe gouges but can re-establish a bevel here if needed.
I already sharpen pretty much everything free hand, but I think using a jig for plane irons gives a much better result; just my opinion though. My Wusthof knives in my kitchen are like ninja swords....

But back to the point. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with that one. There are many, and I've been tempted to put together one somewhere on this board for my planer knives as well.

Anything that gets me back to making sawdust faster, I'm always interested!:yes:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
If I had lots of long edges to sharpen, I'd buy a jig in a minute. But I have a wide variety of wood carving tools and several different bevel angles, not to mention the progressive sweeps of 9 crooked knives.

Big, flat, hard surface? See if you can find a business which polishes and installs stone countertops.
I got a dozen sink cutouts and a 30" x 5" offcut for FREE. Some of it is faux stone, some is real but it is all very flat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.