Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my current project. My oldest daughter is a teacher and she wanted a treasure chest to put some rewards in for the kids who do good. I found plans for one in a book entitled "Box by Box" by Jim Stack. I'm using maple from the changing table in my projects thread (which had been a barn before) and some fresh material. By fresh I mean it was a tree before. It was cut in 2004.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
His box is only 5x8 or so wide so I enlarged the plans to the dimensions I wanted. I followed his instructions to make the slats for the lid. I couldn't get them to completely close at the top. There will be some filler required there.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The design calls for dove tails. It even includes a jig to do them on the table saw as well as instructions on how to do them on the router table. I'm too chicken for dovetails so I did them box joint style. Lo and behold I hadn't allowed for the thickness of the panels. Now the lid was too wide.

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Looking good so far. I hate it when I forget to account for stock thickness - or something else - that then makes my part either too larger or too small. It'll work out for you though. :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see you're doing a build thread. I have that book too, by the way. It's a pretty good one for sure. There's a couple of boxes in there I wouldn't mind making. I may actually be making something out of the book this month for a charity auction next month (to help raise money for my mom's much-needed liver transplant).

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Really cool Landman! I made one for the kids last Halloween that had a flared top. I wish I had seen the way the author laid out the round portion of the top with bisected angles... I did mine by eye and careful back bevelling with a hand plane :eek::laughing:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts