Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my current project. My oldest daughter is a teacher and she wanted a treasure chest to put some rewards in for the kids who do good. I found plans for one in a book entitled "Box by Box" by Jim Stack. I'm using maple from the changing table in my projects thread (which had been a barn before) and some fresh material. By fresh I mean it was a tree before. It was cut in 2004.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
His box is only 5x8 or so wide so I enlarged the plans to the dimensions I wanted. I followed his instructions to make the slats for the lid. I couldn't get them to completely close at the top. There will be some filler required there.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The design calls for dove tails. It even includes a jig to do them on the table saw as well as instructions on how to do them on the router table. I'm too chicken for dovetails so I did them box joint style. Lo and behold I hadn't allowed for the thickness of the panels. Now the lid was too wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Something similar has been on my list of "things I just want to build just for the sake of building". Looks very nice!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Looking good so far. I hate it when I forget to account for stock thickness - or something else - that then makes my part either too larger or too small. It'll work out for you though. :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see you're doing a build thread. I have that book too, by the way. It's a pretty good one for sure. There's a couple of boxes in there I wouldn't mind making. I may actually be making something out of the book this month for a charity auction next month (to help raise money for my mom's much-needed liver transplant).

·
Banned
615 Posts
Oh no you aren't! Tell me you're not! please say that car has a cover for in the garage with all of that sawdust?

Nice chest btw.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boo Boo again...

However, I got a little carried away with the cutting. Had to make a filler. That was last night. We're almost caught up with real time.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking great!!!
How do you keep the sawdust off them pretty cars?
I have a dust collector on the table saw and I hook up the shop vac to the belt sander. The planer has a chute that fits over a garbage can, But I manage to get them dusty anyway.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Really cool Landman! I made one for the kids last Halloween that had a flared top. I wish I had seen the way the author laid out the round portion of the top with bisected angles... I did mine by eye and careful back bevelling with a hand plane :eek::laughing:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You have got my ATTENTION! My main build, when I get to work in shop, is steamer trunks, boxes, and blanket chest. It is looking good so far!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's already looking good. I'm sure it come out great. Like the classic design, the kids will be thrilled to see it. It will remind them of the pirate's adventures on the treasure chest.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts