Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I vote clamps. Hands down (pun intended)

I just "finished" (need to glue and apply finish) my first furniture project. It's taken me 3 weeks, 6 days a week, 8-10hrs/day. I found it so true "you can never have enough clamps." There are so many inventive way to use them. Almost every cut I make involved clamping something - be it a feather board, stop block, sacrificial fence, miter fence, router sled to work piece, and the list goes on!

I think...I think I might be in love...with clamps. Don't tell my wife.:no:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Depends on what kind of stuff you make, I hardly ever use my table saw, but my router gets used on just about every project, in fact I don't think I could make anything without a router, at least not easily. My compound miter saw is right up there with the router. Now if we are talking tools in general, my vote is going for my cordless drill, hands down the most useful tool that I own.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'll admit it, I like my clamps, too. That is, after I threw out the crummy ones that used to make me hate them. I like little ones, big ones, long ones, short ones, wood ones, steel ones, C ones, F ones, pipe ones, bar ones, spring ones, miter ones, claw ones, machinist ones, wedge ones, screw ones, quick ones, cam ones, edge ones, deep reach ones, reversible ones, heavy duty ones, light duty ones, band ones, strap ones, parallel ones, I like surgical tubing, rubber bands, ponytail keepers, pins, thumb tacks, clothes pins, paper clips, bobby pins, lots of different tapes, weights, sandbags, string, rope and wire. It's not only that you can't have enough, you can't have enough different sizes of the same ones and, not enough different types. Happy collecting.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
I was putting together a swing set for my grand babies today. I was using some clamps from my wood shop, turned to my wife and told her: I love clamps, don't you love clamps? She just laughed at me and said " well, they seem useful ". Big understatement! Never have enough!

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
The most important tool in the shop should be the one between your ears! That's how it is in diving anyway. It should be the sharpest tool too, but sometimes that's just not the case.

·
where's my table saw?
29,605 Posts
without a table saw

Clamps are tough to cut with..... :laughing:
There would not be much to clamp up, maybe the workbench top? other clamps? I like and use my clamps, but I love my table saw(s)....just sayin' Without a table saw there would be no sawdust, no dust collectors, no scraps, no projects, no FUN. :no:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree the table saw is hands down the most important tool in my shop there are many projects where 95 percent of the work is done on the table saw alone.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love my Dowelmax and my Leigh D4R. I don't use them on every project, but when I do, I'm smiling the whole time :smile:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Noek said:
I love my Dowelmax and my Leigh D4R. I don't use them on every project, but when I do, I'm smiling the whole time :smile:
I have never heard of these tools. I'm going to look them up.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
My table saw is in the center of workshop and because of the size of the shop and 2 support columns (can't take them out), the ts had to be strategically placed so I could rip 8ft planks and cross cut 8ft planks. Yes the ts is a very important tool I've used on all my projects...

Clamps are also important and I use them all the time... even on the ts with my hands as clamps for the miter and push sticks as a clamp for rip cuts...

But the one tool I can't do without is my workbench. My workbench has two t-tracks imbedded into its' top so it is a giant, versatile clamp.

Attachments

·
Wiljoy
3 Posts
Are you kidding

Bahhhhhhhh ! It's the fridge ! No beer ? Oh dear !
Are you kidding? you drink beer in your workshop??....Oh well they say there is one born every minute....have many digits have you got missing ???:thumbdown::furious:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have to agree with BernieL, my shop centres around my table saw with a 4' x 8' workbench that is also my catch table. That with a small side table and I can cut any size out of a 4x8 panel.

I love that work bench BernieL, those T slots are genius. :thumbsup:

The beer fridge idea is a close second, ;).

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I have to agree that the table saw is the most used tool, but several other tools have their pecking order. Even before the table saw is fired up on a project the wood makes passes on my jointer then thru
my planer.
I buy my wood rough, so which tool is more important? the planer or the table saw? Really it comes down to this. The most important tool in my shop is the tool I need next. I'm fortunate to have been at this for awhile and have a fairly well equipped shop, maybe not the "best"
equipped but none the less I love and take care of my tools.

I like what Netdoc had to say though, it is very true, it all starts with you! :thumbsup:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I have to say my table saw is tied with my work bench for most important.

Some of these responses have sure have me puzzled.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts