Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks like it will be my next big project, to build end tables similar to these she saw in our neighbor's house. Two singles and one double,

[/ATTACH]

She wants to use this design from Woodsmith,

Furniture Drawer Chest of drawers Chiffonier Dresser

But with these doors from American Woodworker,

Furniture Wood stain Wood Door Hardwood

And these feet from Fine Woodworking,

Wood Plywood Furniture Brochure woodworking

So I have to make up drawings incorporating all these features. My wife seems to have a knack to make things complicated. This will be my first real furniture project, so I am open to suggestions, guidance, coaching, hand holding etc.

Attachments

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Pat from what I have seen of your work you will do just fine.
A few thoughts to ponder what is the wood source wherever it comes from let it stabilize before working with it one month for me last fall with wood that was still warm from out of the kiln. That was rushing it Different wood for draws than the frame less wear that way and not as heavy part of the wear that I mentioned. Get good hardware.
And most important have fun with it.

Jerry

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat from what I have seen of your work you will do just fine.
A few thoughts to ponder what is the wood source wherever it comes from let it stabilize before working with it one month for me last fall with wood that was still warm from out of the kiln. That was rushing it Different wood for draws than the frame less wear that way and not as heavy part of the wear that I mentioned. Get good hardware.
And most important have fun with it.

Jerry
I'm planning to use oak from several church pews I bought. It had been in the church some 60 years.

Wood Furniture Hardwood Wood stain Table

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I normally use maple for drawer slides. However these won't have drawers, they'll have a shelf and doors.
Maple is pretty expensive to use as a secondary wood for drawers unless you have a bunch of it laying around. I generally use Poplar since that seems to be what even the high end furniture makers use.

One of your design photos showed drawers, so I guess I figured you were planning to have at least one of then.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maple is pretty expensive to use as a secondary wood for drawers unless you have a bunch of it laying around. I generally use Poplar since that seems to be what even the high end furniture makers use.

One of your design photos showed drawers, so I guess I figured you were planning to have at least one of then.

• Drawer slides don't use much wood, and I do have quite a bit.
  • I had bought four of those logs from a man who was doing selective cutting on his woodlot. Needless to say, that old Dodge rode nice on the way home.
[/ATTACH]

• I wasn't clear enough in my explanations. She wants me to use the box in the first photo with the doors and feet of the next two.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OIC!

Nice find on the logs. :thumbsup:
Johnnie, that is the same guy I got the ash for my old car and the staircase, and some of the walnut from an old tree in his yard that he had to cut. He has a tree "collection" on his property, some 125 species that he planted here and there. Quite nice to see. He owns a sugar bush and the maple logs I got from him are from a woodlot where he cuts the firewood for his sugar shack. He has been doing selective cutting in there for over 25 years and hasn't run out. The big pile you see is logs he sets aside for sawing when he realizes they are too nice for the fire. Very nice and interesting fellow. He is near Cornwall ON/Massena NY area, I suppose not far from where you lived at one time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally...

Finally getting around to working on the end tables. Selected the type of construction I want as well as tops, bottom, feet etc. Couldn't make heads or tails of my wife's sketch and measurements so headed to the neighbor's with tape, camera and sketchpad in hand. Next making a drawing of each piece.

Hardwood Furniture Wood Floor Wood stain

Hardwood Wood stain Wood Varnish Floor

Room Paper Table Floor Flooring

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here we go

Here's a picture of my plan, a plain box on a base and with an overhanging cover, with moldings above and below.

Technical drawing Drawing Plan Diagram Architecture

For lumber, I want to use my oak church pews. They're dry, straight and of high quality. I was thinking of using the backs of the pews for the sides of the boxes. They are 18 x 55 x 3/4. Rather than stripping the varnish, I'd plane them down to 11/16 or 5/8 if I have to.

Property Room Furniture Floor Wood stain

The seats are 13.5x55 x1 5/8 in the thick areas and 15/16 in the middle. Should I take them to a wide planer and bring them down to 3/4 or should I rip them, square the pieces and re-laminate them? The idea is to avoid waste.

Wood Hardwood Room Floor Wood stain

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Pat, if the bottoms of those seats are flat, I would try to find a shop in your area to plane the top to match. Seems like ripping, squaring, and re-laminating would be a whole lot of work. I'm sure there is a shop out there that would be more than willing to do it for a small fee.

Look for millworks places as well, I just found one up the street from my work, and the guys there couldn't have been nicer. 15" planers, 12" jointers, and they told me I was more than welcome to bring anything in that wouldn't fit on my machines at home.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pat, if the bottoms of those seats are flat, I would try to find a shop in your area to plane the top to match. Seems like ripping, squaring, and re-laminating would be a whole lot of work. I'm sure there is a shop out there that would be more than willing to do it for a small fee.
They aren't. You'd have to start by planning them first. I decided today tu try one and if it doesn't work I'll find another way.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't understand the point about different wood on the drawer sides?
If you are talking about Johnnie in post #4, he was talking about slides not sides. I wasn't so sire about the difference myself. The plans for the two tool chests I have built suggested to use maple. Maybe it is more stable/durable than oak.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts