Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-
I just completed several pine projects with no issues. I took all the same precautions and used the exact same methods on this recent project (birch butcher block bar top).

First, I preconditioned wood with mineral spirits and then applied early American minwax (one coat only). I let the stain dry for at least 24 hours, at which time the color looked nice and even and so I began applying water based polyurethane. After the first coat of poly was dry there was no change in the stain appearance or quality; everything looked good (1st picture) so I applied a second coat of poly. I had to go to work for a few days. I came back about 72 hours later and all the stain is noticeably lighter and in some areas appears to have actually disappeared leaving the original wood color (2nd & 3rd pictures). Again, I have never seen this happen with any of my pine projects despite using the exact same process. Is it the birc

If anyone can explain why this happened it would be much appreciated by this hack woodworker!
Property Wood Fixture Window Rectangle
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Composite material
Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Floor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the input!
I did sand between the first and second coat of poly. I was going to do two more coats with sanding in between. At this point I am going to stop and strip the poly, re-sand, and then stain again. I feel like the mineral spirits may have somehow pulled the stain deeper into the wood after the first coat of poly was put on, though I've never had this happen before. I don't know what other mechanism could be at play...but I also don't know a lot.
Maybe I will wait a full week before putting on the first coat of poly to make sure the stain actually cures. I will give you an update.
Tin Wood Table Publication Drink

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. I did wipe the excess stain off within 10 minutes of application. It sounds like I didn't wait long enough for the stain to dry though. I will strip and restrain, then wait a week before applying the poly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts