Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bill Wyko said:
I definitely recommend the video. There is so much more on it you'll want to see.
Okay, I bit. I went ahead and ordered his 3 DVD set. It cracks me up how so many of these skilled and accomplished artists can care so little about the production quality of their videos. Very informative and insightful nonetheless. I'm glad I got them. Thanks for the recommendation.

Question: You turn 2 different forms from different wood species with different water content and different wall thicknesses, glue them together and let them dry. Everything I've learned about green turning tells me that combo should pretty well self destruct. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I didn't use wet wood fo the vessel, it was dry as dirt. The walnut cap was left t dry for a couple days before I glued it in place. My cap is under 1/8" thick so it dried very fast here in the desert. (In the 80's now)I also only put glue at the ends of the end grain. That's the neutral point for wood movement.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bill Wyko said:
I didn't use wet wood fo the vessel, it was dry as dirt. The walnut cap was left t dry for a couple days before I glued it in place. My cap is under 1/8" thick so it dried very fast here in the desert. (In the 80's now)I also only put glue at the ends of the end grain. That's the neutral point for wood movement.:thumbsup:
Gotcha. He didn't really go into that but if I remember correctly he took his blank fresh from a huge trunk section and although it was end grain oriented I still wonder how that works out.
I'm nowhere near trying that yet but It's fascinating to me. Yours is awesome BTW. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My pleasure, I can't wait to see what you make. I had the dvd for months before I decided to try it. I'm sure glad I did, it was a lot of fun. The glaser Mini QR's made turning it a breeze, they're so muchh fun to turn with.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm excited to say, I made the cover of WOW with this piece. What an incredible honor:thumbsup: Gotta give a big thanks to Trent Bosch for his dvd teaching this technique. Gotta pinch myself now, see if I'm awake.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It a site called World of Woodturners. I'm pretty new there so I don't have all the info. I do know that it's got an impeccable reputation for having some of the nicest turnings around featured there. I had to be invited to become a member if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am utterly amazed! I love it when people think outside the box (or hollow form...haha!) and create something amazing like that! Great job! Keep up the good work!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts