Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys....please post up photos of the mallets you are receiving over the next few weeks!

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Tried to post in the other thread but it seems its now closed. Anyhow, like a bonehead I completely forgot to ship my mallet on Mon. We got blasted with another storm last night that will probably take us 3 days to clean up so now Im on mandatory OT again. I should be able to get this in the mail on Fri morn. Just wanted to give a heads up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's just like a major award!

I got home from work this evening, snow everywhere. I live about 40 miles south of BassBlaster so I figured there was not much of a chance of getting my mallet. My wife tells me after dinner that there's a box on the porch for me. "What did you order now?" Yea, she has a right to ask that question.

But nope....straight from Glenville, West 'by God' Virginia! "adot45" is the maker and boy did he do a nice job on it! I was hoping for a 'turned' mallet since I have no lathe. The mallet is nice and heavy, fits my hand well and looks damn nice to boot! I almost hate to use it, but I know they're supposed to be used.

Again adot45, thanks for the great mallet and nice note!

As for the recipient of my mallet, in my haste to get to the post office, not only did I not insert my note, I didn't even put my screen name on the box! (BTW, I'm Ken :smile:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
What a great looking mallet to start the thread :thumbsup: Nice job adot45.

Okay, now we lots more details - what woods are used, dimensions, weight, finish, etc.......

·
Registered
139 Posts
Details: 12" long, 4" head. Looks to me like oak, but I'm not sure. The finish appears to be clear poly. As for weight, I'm guessing around 20oz. adot45 will correct me where I'm wrong. The head feels weighted. I'm not sure with what, but it makes no sound when shaken. It hefty for sure. In his note he said the plastic (red rings) might be brittle when cold so be careful. I'd like to know the purpose of the rings, I've not seen anything like this before. I am NOT a mallet expert by any means.

I couldn't be happier!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Guys, sorry I forgot to put any details about the mallet. It's a stacked rings style, red oak, not weighted but the "high impact, durable, space age, rust proof material".....the red plastic is very dense and heavy. It's a cutting board. I've made some with the clear and I've been able to just wail on stuff with no problem, but when I went to Wally World to get a cutting board, I saw the red and thought I'd try it with the red oak. If it fails Bumpus let me know and I'll replace it with an all oak model. It's finished with BLO so there won't be any problem with the finish chipping. I'm glad you like it and thanks for the comments guys. Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Guys, sorry I forgot to put any details about the mallet. It's a stacked rings style, red oak, not weighted but the "high impact, durable, space age, rust proof material".....the red plastic is very dense and heavy. It's a cutting board. I've made some with the clear and I've been able to just wail on stuff with no problem, but when I went to Wally World to get a cutting board, I saw the red and thought I'd try it with the red oak. If it fails Bumpus let me know and I'll replace it with an all oak model. It's finished with BLO so there won't be any problem with the finish chipping. I'm glad you like it and thanks for the comments guys. Dave
You have no idea how thrilled I am with the mallet. Man I love these swaps!

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Mine is going in the mail tomorrow to whomever will receive it. (Keeping that a secret for now.) As for the one I'm to receive, Dopalgangr informed me that it should arrive in the next few days. Excited to see it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mines going in the mail tomorrow as well. I've been attempting to get over some nasty bronchitis and getting to the post office just wasn't going to happen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine is going in the mail tomorrow to whomever will receive it. (Keeping that a secret for now.) As for the one I'm to receive, Dopalgangr informed me that it should arrive in the next few days. Excited to see it.
Hey Frank, it should come today. Again, I hope you like it and that its not too light in weight. I didn't add to much weight to it. Its made from black walnut, red oak, and I believe the handle is cherry or ash. My first attempt with a mallet and BLO finish so I hope it works out. :yes:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Another Mallet Received

Got my mallet in the mail today and it is a beauty!:thumbup:

Sent to me from Peter (guglipm63) along with a nice note. This is the first mallet Peter has made and he did himself proud. Several first for me too - first time owning anything that has been turned - and the two woods he used are new to me as well.

Here are the pictures - description to follow.

pgmallet.jpg

pgmallet2.jpg

pgmallet3.jpg

pgmallet4.jpg

The head of the mallet is sassafras and the handle is sycamore. It comes in at a little over 13 oz and is about 10.5" tall. Head is 3.5 wide by about 3.5 tall and has a great knot that really gives it a unique look.

I really like the handle. It's got two distinct gripping areas that both feel great - one down low for bashing and one right up high for those little taps. The ring details give a nice contrast with the lighter colored wood (were those done with a wood burner?).

I think the finish is BLO (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I can't wait for it to warm up a little so I can get to the shop and start beating on some chisels. In the meantime it's sitting right next to me by the computer and I can't stop playing with it:laughing:.

Thanks Peter - it's a great mallet!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Great mallet and very pretty wood. I like what BLO does to sycamore, it turns a nice deep tan over time and gets even prettier. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
My wife's birthday

So my wife's birthday is this week and she's been looking to buy a Brother embroidery machine to go along with all the other sewing paraphenalia we have for our various projects. When she arrived home today (before me, because I was getting her birthday present installed in her car) she saw this on the front porch.

Needless to say she was a bit miffed since it doesn't have any embroidery functions all. Then she saw my name and thought it was some diving gear I am in the process of purchasing.

Neither was correct. It was a fine mallet from dopalgangr, made of oak, walnut and cherry. It is a nice light mallet that feels butter smooth in your hand. Dopalgangr also added some rings to give the light mallet a little more heft. Everyone in the house has been touching it since I opened the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bumpus said:
I got home from work this evening, snow everywhere. I live about 40 miles south of BassBlaster so I figured there was not much of a chance of getting my mallet. My wife tells me after dinner that there's a box on the porch for me. "What did you order now?" Yea, she has a right to ask that question. But nope....straight from Glenville, West 'by God' Virginia! "adot45" is the maker and boy did he do a nice job on it! I was hoping for a 'turned' mallet since I have no lathe. The mallet is nice and heavy, fits my hand well and looks damn nice to boot! I almost hate to use it, but I know they're supposed to be used. Again adot45, thanks for the great mallet and nice note! As for the recipient of my mallet, in my haste to get to the post office, not only did I not insert my note, I didn't even put my screen name on the box! (BTW, I'm Ken :smile:)
Nice work! In fact, they all are awesome looking!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks and tell your wife sorry :) That was the only box I had, both my wife and daughter are doing the quilting thing too. Enjoy the mallet and keep it oiled (that's how the rings stay on with the swelling wood).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Tim, thank you for the kind words and glad it found a great home. I use Danish oil on most of my projects, watco brand. It's just so easy to touch up. The burn marks were done by rubbing it with a piece of wire while it spun on the lathe. I'm glad you like it and hope it brings you many years of pleasure

1 - 20 of 188 Posts