Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK on another thread "It's always something" I was talking about this little project and using cheap wood to frame out some tiger wood and my inability to put spline on an all ready stained piece. Well the game has changed, I now have to find some Walnut, because the stuff my neighbor gave me is not tiger wood, it's Pommele sapele. I have never worked with exotic woods so I took it at face value when he said it was Tiger, but looked it up, I had no idea how expensive this stuff is., so I can't possibly use some cheap stained poplar along side this stuff, it would be almost criminal...:laughing:...wouldn't it. Anybody got any finishing technique or type of finish that do this sapele justice. I have never worked with this stuff. The only reason I found out what this was, is because I never worked with Tiger either and went to check on finish product to use on it, realized I didn't have Tiger wood...lol

·
7,222 Posts
I have a board of pomelle sapele. Gorgeous grain, cost my something like $28/board foot.

I have only used for a couple of boards, this was the first. Used for the decorative edge. The picture does not do justice to the wonderful chatoyance of this wood.

Decorative_board_bow_tie_bubinga_1406.jpg

If I recall, nothing special for a finish, likely polyurethane, or may have been General Finish Salad Bowl Finish. I just applied the finish.

Any oil or wax will make the pomelle sapele really shine.

You are correct that this should be used with decent other woods, not some cheap stained poplar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts