Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the official thread for my Baileigh contest, fits-in-an-18"cube, entry. I had ideas I wanted to implement but no clear overall vision other than that this will be a particular kind of box. I'm going to play this game in a more risky manner. Plans? Dimensions? Particular construction method? Who knows.

I'm just going to see if I can make most of it up as I go along and end up with a computers project that actually looks decent. Only the future knows if the outcome will even be worthy of entering. But that's OK. I'll do the best I can "off the top of my head" and see what happens.

I am really excited to see how this works out. I got a start a couple of hours ago. I'm trying to figure out a few logistics concerning my first four pieces. I'm trying to tweak some setups so I have no real progress to show yet. Right now I'm only committing to a definite entry in the contest.

... stand by...

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
I can see it now.... a collective,
"Oh Boy.... Steve has entered the contest! We are all doomed."

:laughing::laughing::laughing: All kidding aside... Can't wait to see what you come up with.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can see it now.... a collective,
"Oh Boy.... Steve has entered the contest! We are all doomed."

:laughing::laughing::laughing: All kidding aside... Can't wait to see what you come up with.
I doubt any one is worried about me and my entry. There are plenty of member here who easily run circles around my measly level of craftsmanship and skill. But it'll be interesting and fun, none the less.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shadowy path to the unknown: Enter here.

With a tenoning jig, I beveled the end grain of a 6" wide piece of cedar at 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm just kidding... it was Celsius.

Tool Machine Tool accessory Machine tool Wood

Then I created a shallow dado.

Wood Plywood Hardwood Wood stain Table

Seriously? Cheapie router table, I curse thee. I wonder if Baileigh makes router tables. I'll bet $1,600 could buy a pretty damned nice one. This virtual toy I play with leaves volumes to be desired. Including that it doesn't come with a countersunk insert to accept guide bushings. I never realized that. Until now.

Plywood Wood Metal Ceiling

Well, for now, it was faster and easier to raise the table slightly. The only suitable material I could find was a tad too thick. But there is sufficient meat exposure* to safely use the guide bushing. I don't have the time or energy right now to fabricate a counter-sunk insert.

Also, the crappy inserts with this table don't really hold fast. So they have a little play that makes template routing with bushings quite iffy. This table topper also serves to hold the bushing securely in place, eliminating the risk of up-spiral/bushing contact.

Wood Plywood Table Furniture

The Fast Joint Mini.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Floor

* That's what she said. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is the official thread for my Baileigh contest, fits-in-an-18"cube, entry. I had ideas I wanted to implement but no clear overall vision other than that this will be a particular kind of box. I'm going to play this game in a more risky manner. Plans? Dimensions? Particular construction method? Who knows.

I'm just going to see if I can make most of it up as I go along and end up with a computers project that actually looks decent. Only the future knows if the outcome will even be worthy of entering. But that's OK. I'll do the best I can "off the top of my head" and see what happens.

I am really excited to see how this works out. I got a start a couple of hours ago. I'm trying to figure out a few logistics concerning my first four pieces. I'm trying to tweak some setups so I have no real progress to show yet. Right now I'm only committing to a definite entry in the contest.

... stand by...
I was in the shop last night messing around on my drafting table thinking of a build for the contest and this morning I read this post. Here is what went through my head:
DANG!! I'm out before I even started!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
There are those building a car that don't read car mag's, as they don't want to be influenced by another person's ideas. It's just to easy to pick and choose ideas, rather beating to your own drum.

I'm a firm believer that one needs to be concerned with his/her owns project, and not concern themselves with what the other person is doing. Giving your best effort is, often enough.

The grass does sometimes seem GREENER on the other side of the street, but maybe your neighbor sees your grass as the GREENEST.

Go for it,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I call BS!

Not only have you not shown how you made the inlay, but you skipped over the fancy sortta kinda dove tails! :laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, its beginning to look really interesting. Looking forward to it come together.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I call BS!

Not only have you not shown how you made the inlay, but you skipped over the fancy sortta kinda dove tails! :laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, its beginning to look really interesting. Looking forward to it come together.
The inlays are from a deal I bought on eBay a while back. I've been trying to come up with a use for some of it.

The fancy crown "dovetails" are cut on the router using a template (the "Fast Joint Mini"). It's useful for making cool looking joints. But, as you see, can also be employed as a sort of dentil moulding.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
I like what I'm seeing so far (that's what she said too).

I had that same problem with my router inserts for the cast iron attachment for my TS. The inserts didn't fit the any guide bushing that I had, so I did make my own. Since I was making one, I made a few extras.... just in case. Used my router to make them.:eek:

Here a couple pics of them. I just used hardboard for them.

Floor Circle Metal

Brass Metal Circle

Water Circle Metal

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Ok Steve, once again I'm sitting in the shadows watching you. I have to say this is better than watching Swamp People on the History Channel. Not by much mind you, but I don't speak a lick of Cajun so everything comes out like this.
Me: I need to go to 7-11
Swamp guy: Ahm a heading da sebbemlebbem

So either way I'm confounded :thumbsup: BTW my wife loved your contest entry.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fabian: Great job on the inserts. That's exactly what I need to make. But, like so many other things I 'need' to do, it'll have to wait for now. I definitely appreciate the information and the pictures. Now I have a solid idea of how to go about making some of my own.

Crusader, thank you very much. Though, being compared to the show Swamp People... I'm not sure whether to feel applauded or offended. :laughing:

-------------------------

I spent more time in the shop today and tweaked two parts that have to be glued to the king's crown pieces I made last time to form an escutcheon. I threw together this simple clamping jig:

The jig ended up being pretty much useless. So I did it the old fashioned way: Miniature bar clamps.

I need four 'wheels', or cylinders. I ended up cutting six. The two extras are for Justin. You know, Justin Case. What you're looking at is my table saw crosscut sled. There's a stop block clamped to the fence. I held a spacer (the vertical piece of plywood between the poplar dowel and the stop block) in place to position the dowel for the proper cutoff length.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood

But the spacer is removed to make the cut. Don't want the cutoff getting wedged and mangled. Or getting wedged, assuming ballistic properties and mangling ME.

Here's my dowel cutoffs, sanded and with marked centers to aide in the next step: drilling.

Wood

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just so happen to have this piece of rubber that just so happened to have a hole the exact size of the dowel I used. So it was a natural solution for holding the dowel cutoffs while drilling.

Milling Machine tool Machine Tool accessory Tool

Well, I've weeded out one of the wheels as a test. The hole was too large. These 5 have the correct sized hole. I'll end up using the best four. But there's more to do to them first.

Scale model Tool accessory woodworking

Here's the escutcheon assembly, glued up. The inlays are glued in with Super Glue Gel. This is just out of glue-up and not yet sanded flush.

Games Wood Indoor games and sports Recreation Hardwood

This is a mocked-up shot to give you a little clue of what's coming next.

Games Board game Indoor games and sports Recreation Wood

1 - 20 of 262 Posts