Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Was planning the board by itself with a snipe chaser.
I think now I'll make a sled.
Best wishes on the ortho and the finger healing!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Surprisingly, the ortho didn't want to do surgery....yet. He aligned the bones (that was fun...) and applied a heavy duty splint. I go back to see him
in a week. If it's not healing correctly, then surgery.
How are you? Too soon for the bone to be 100% but I hope it is one piece again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How are you? Too soon for the bone to be 100% but I hope it is one piece again.
Bob,,,,
Thanks for the follow up, much appreciated.
Been to the ortho a couple times and he decided against surgery, he aligned the bones in my finger and had me wear a rigid plastic splint until healed. Went back a couple weeks ago and he said all looks good.

I got lucky and haven’t lost my fingernail, but it’s still bruised and the tip of my finger is still a sensitive and you’re right, it’s not 100% yet, but I can live with that for now. The real test will be when winter comes, I’m sure I’m going to feel it!

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,001 Posts
I managed to catch my hand behind the hammer portion of a 5 pound slide hammer and lost a nice section of skin down to the muscle in the meaty part below my left pinky finger..No fun at all, but it is what it is. I was replacing the rear bearings once again since the last ones were just slightly under sized and were grinding and creating too much heat when I drove the truck. I went to the Ford dealer for the right bearings this time and it's all put back together the way it should have been last time around. I finished the job with a hand and a half. Man! That wasn't the funnest job I've ever done, but it's done. Now I'm just waiting for it to heal hopefully with no serious infection. I now can replace bearings in the rear end in less than 4 hours with a bum hand even..probably quicker with two good hands.
It's kind of put woodworking on the shelf for awhile, but I could work with it if I had to.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
sorry you went thru that - fwiw and info for others.....
bearings 'envelope' sizes are standardized - i.e. outer diameter, bore diameter, width.
((tapered roller bearings....different issues - n/a to this discussion.))

however, the internal clearance (typically represented as C-1 {tightest} to C-4 {loosest}) comes into play as bearings are pressed into the housings / on the shaft. these difference are classified in microns - you're not going to double check that with a tape measure....

OEM parts have their own numbers and the internal clearances are not indicated.
meaning that an industry std (example) 6208 - although it might 'fit' the pocket - may not live long where the mounting reduces the internal clearance to the point the balls cause spalling/damage to the races ( = "were grinding")

21 - 26 of 26 Posts