Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I couldn't see spending the money to buy a turning tool with a handle and I have heard some good things about the Thompson Tools so I purchased a bowl gouge and made my own handle.

It is made from some Padauk and is long (~17"). It is long enough that the base can rest on the bottom of my forearm for more control. I haven't taken it for a test run yet because the actual tool is not epoxied in as of yet.

Comments are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I also get too fancy with my tool handles. I use them as experimentation. I'll try new finishes, or routing techniques, or coloring. You'll love you Thompson tool. I have 5 right now but there are 3 more I want real bad. I just have to save up the bucks.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Fred,
Looks great. Get your epoxy together and get that thing rolling.:laughing:
Nothing better than a new handle except actually using that new handle. Let us know how it works and how you like the new tool.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also get too fancy with my tool handles. I use them as experimentation. I'll try new finishes, or routing techniques, or coloring. You'll love you Thompson tool. I have 5 right now but there are 3 more I want real bad. I just have to save up the bucks.
I did try something different with this one. I tried a CA glue finish on it for durability. It was a major PITA! I had to resand and finish three times, I think. I am not really happy with the finish but for a turning tool, it should be fine. I learned that a CA finish on something this large is difficult to get right.

Another lesson learned......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts