Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
look at this guys

This thing is the epitome of badass woodworking!
These guys needed 10 years. And that is with all of their modern tools.

What fascinates me is how they did it in the old times? Hundred people just for planning and jointing the boards :laughing: .

Are there any books or notes left of that era that would explain the shipbuilding process?

·
Registered
404 Posts
When I watched the first video I was kind of bothered by the interruptions - move to next scene - and I wished they did a better job showing the craftsmanship that went into this monumental task. But the second video was AWESOME! And the third, almost as good.

It really makes you appreciate what the shipbuilders of old had to endure. And even with all the efforts to make this ship by old world standards, they occasionally had to resort to modern technology. You have to feel a certain admiration and stand in awe for the shipbuilders (and woodworkers) of the past.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What an incredible investment of time and labor. After ten years combined with the work of everyone involved, that ship must be worth a fortune.

Where I live on Lake Michigan, there is a yearly event called Tall Ship Festival or something like that. Replicas of the Niña & Piñta sail into the harbor and stay for a few days. For a fee you can tour the ships which are virtually a sailing museum. After watching those videos, at the next festival I will have a new appreciation of the ships and for those that build them now and in the past.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts