Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a really good straight edge.... 4'.... I want to know everytime I pick it up and use it that it's dead on.... What do you guys use? I've seen some good ones but have no clue where to get one.... It does not have to be a rule but does not matter.... Thanks guys

·
7,222 Posts
I normally see straight edges up to 36in.

I have a 36in Veritas steel edge.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56676&cat=1,240,45313&ap=1

Woodpeckers has aluminium straight edge, also up to 36in, and less expensive than the Veritas.

http://www.woodpeck.com/serx36.html

Woodpeckers also have rules up to 50in

http://www.woodpeck.com/woodworkingrules.html

Some people use a level as straight edge.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=66168&cat=1,43513

Other people purchase a long piece of angle iron.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I have one like cabinet man, but 4’ is not that long and I usually just grab whatever is closest like a level or one of a number of items that I found are pretty straight. I just can’t justify spending that kind of money for woodworking accuracy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am wanting somthing that is more than pretty close.... If I know my tables are flat and dead on that is one less factor in unsquare projects.... As of now all I have is a few Stanley levels and a cheap steal rule from lowes.... If ima spend money on buying somthing I'm going to do it right the first time and save a lot of headache in the end.... Just my opinion

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to own a quality tool.It really boils down to the end user's wants and needs.

There are times you may need a certain degree of accuracy....other times you don't?A higher end,higher spec tool delivers on both.

The trick is knowing what's available new....whats on the used market....how to critique either....then wrap it all up in a price that the end user is cool with.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Before Lee Valley introduced those style of stright edges they now have, they carried a 40" (1 m I guess) one that looked a little thinner and had markings like a rule. It was touted as being straight to within thousandths (don't remember exactly, I think it may have been .004-.005"). I bought one many years ago and it has been extremely useful over the years. It's still straight, I have no doubt you'll be happy with the current model. It may actually be more useful in some ways, not as useful in some others as the old model.

·
7,222 Posts
Dave I just orderd the veritas.... That is exactly what I'm looking for.... Any complaints?
No, unless you drop it on your foot - it is a decent weight. :laughing:

I am very happy with the Veritas steel straight edge. I do not have a way to measure the tolerances, but I am happy to accept Veritas's quality control.

I used it for example to level the tables on my jointer. I love that the thickness allows it to stand up by itself. Handy when working by myself. Also used for setting the jointer knives.

I think you will also be happy.

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
I have steel/aluminum 4'straight edge like C'Man and also use my 4' level. You probably would not buy a level to use as a straight edge, but it comes in handy if you have one. The red line on your laser level also comes in handy.

George

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have a few shop made corian straight edges, 50", 98", and 144". Corian makes for a great straight edge. Only problem is its heavy, and you need to have a means of making a straight line rip to make one in the first place.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I saw another real 'trick' in use a couple of days ago. A power carver wanted to make certain that 5 tines of a moose antler rested evenly on the table top (There's an eagle, bears fishing for salmon and so on.) The guy has a 24" x 36" slab (1/2"?) of tempered glass. It is flat. The implication is that it is a straight edge in all directions.
Instead of laying the straight edge on the project, he does it upside down!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I have a few shop made corian straight edges, 50", 98", and 144". Corian makes for a great straight edge. Only problem is its heavy, and you need to have a means of making a straight line rip to make one in the first place.
What did you use for widths and thickness for those lengths?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
cabinetman said:
What did you use for widths and thickness for those lengths?

50" long x 6" wide x 1/2" thick, 98"x8"x1/2", 144"x12"x1"

The 12 foot one is pretty heavy, but its awful nice to have a 144 inch straight edge. Corian will move at temperature extremes, but the shop is never colder than 60 (heated in the winter) or hotter than 95 or so in the dead of summer. So as far as I've ever been able to tell, even the long one stays pretty darn straight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts