Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed the nicest projects are the ones being built for a family member. Kids and grandkids seem to get the best work. No limit to the time or materials are ever considered.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Definitely not the case for us. The kids get functional furniture. I have dabbled with the idea of making my oldest quality furniture for when she officially moves out (she's in college now) but by the time any of it would be finished I'd probably be giving it to my great grand children...

I did give my sister a nice curly maple table I built for myself a few years after I had built it because it no longer fit with the aesthetic of my house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tend to save the first attempts for myself and give the second attempts to my friends and family. As I'm brand new to this hobby there's usually quite a difference between successive attempts (both in skill level and in techniques used, hehe)

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I tend to save the first attempts for myself and give the second attempts to my friends and family. As I'm brand new to this hobby there's usually quite a difference between successive attempts (both in skill level and in techniques used, hehe)
I am exactly where you are in my diy/woodworking hobby. I think for me, I'm "in the middle" in terms of feeling a great sense of joy and accomplishment in working on projects both for myself and for others.

Trouble is ... with my uber annoying A.D.D. ... I tend to have lots of ideas in my mind for things I want to build - so many that it ends up being more of a hindrance in actually getting started.

:sad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am exactly where you are in my diy/woodworking hobby. I think for me, I'm "in the middle" in terms of feeling a great sense of joy and accomplishment in working on projects both for myself and for others.

Trouble is ... with my uber annoying A.D.D. ... I tend to have lots of ideas in my mind for things I want to build - so many that it ends up being more of a hindrance in actually getting started.

:sad:

That is one thing I love about woodworking, there's a multitude of "accomplish-able" projects out there... I was briefly into electronics (Arduino, etc..) as a hobby and just felt that projects I was interested in were few and far between. Not true for me with woodworking at all.

For me, if I sketch a project up that helps keep me on track and come up with a plan of attack, especially if it's a longer project and need materials, etc... If you really wanna stay focused, tell the person you're working on something for them... now you can't quit!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm fairly new at this myself. But I know the project I'm in right now for my brother and his wife has taken me 3 weeks of work so far. It's mostly a combination of my fastidious nature and limited access to tools. But ultimately, I want to make sure that this piece of furniture is something they will be proud to have in their home because of it's beauty and quality, not something they feel like they have to have displayed because their family member lovingly made it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I appreciate the fact that you can make something you would never find in a furniture store (for me, that would be firewood). At the same time, you can also make something you'd find in a furniture store.

Functional furniture is hard to find for me. Either it's too nice to use for it's intended purpose or it's so cheap I know it won't last one move and I would be buying it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts