Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been messing with my cheap 2nd hand band saw for months. Having parts altered at a machine shop along with doing everything I can to make this $100 p.o.s. work has driven me to the end. I need a new one! Thinking of spending up to $1,000 but am flexible if I can be sure it will be the last saw I have to buy.

I mostly build furniture so I will be cutting some pretty thick stock and have also been wanting to mill some logs so I think I will need a 14" 1 hp minimum. I would like to be able to buy an kit to extend it later but probably not right now.

Right now I'm looking at Grizzly along with Powermaitc, and Rinkon. What's the consensus?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was in the same boat as you a month ago. I had planned to buy used, but couldn't find a decent deal on a good saw, so I was pretty much settled on the Grizzly anniversary edition 14" on a great sale. However, just before I bought it, I found a used 18" Jet 1.5hp saw that looked brand new for about the same price as the smaller Griz. For what it's worth, most 14" saws need a riser block to get a decent resaw height, except for the Rikon, which has a decent resaw capacity initially. I also got the Carter Magnafence and love it.

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
Look at these

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/420000

The smaller bandsaws 14's, with the rounded top covers have a cast iron frame. The flat top saws 17's, are a welded steel frame. That the basic difference. Then other differences are aluminum wheels vs cast iron, aluminum trunnions vs cast iron.

The cast iron frame 14's will have an optional riser block to get increased resaw height. The welded frame's height can't not be increased.

Whether it's a 1 1/2 HP on a 20 AMP circuit, motor or a 2 HP motor on a 20 amp circuit for 120 V, probably won't make a huge difference. JMO.

Now let's talk dollars. Comparison chart: http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2013/Main/110

The best Extreme 14" saw will run $924 with shipping.
With the riser block another $84 means a total of $1008. And a resaw height of 12"with a 1 1/2 HP motor.
The best deal on a 14" will be the Anniversary model at $524 plus the $84 riser for a total of $608. 1 HP motor.

The cheapest 17" saw, max cutting height 12", will run $894 with shipping. 2 HP motor.
The best Extreme 17" saw with the motor brake, and cast iron trunnions and wheels, and 220 V 2 HP motor is $1394.

So there you have it. From $524 to $1394.
The G0513X2B, with the motor brake, a great safety feature along with cast iron everywhere, for a life time investment, I would pay the difference.
I have the G0514X2B a 19" 3 HP saw. It's a great saw and the motor brake is impressive. When "moving on up" in quality, the best saw you can afford is the best deal. These tools really can last 30 years or more and when you spread the additional cost over that time span, it's a bargain. :yes:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have to say that I'm less than impressed with the cutting capacity of most grizzly band saws when compared to the pro version of the Jet or Rikon that come with the riser block. The only grizzly to have more than 6" or 6 1/2" cutting capacity are 17"ers. Seems like 14" cast iron wheels would be able to handle it, has anyone had experience saying otherwise?

Also I should mention that I do not have a table saw. I never have to cut sheet stock and when I do my mother lives down the street with a NICE Jet cabinet saw. So this and a few quick passes with my hand planes will handle all my ripping in addition to resawing and milling rough wood.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read a good deal of bad reviews for Laguna, a machine with a powerful motor and well made parts but has issues with blade tracking and fried mother boards.

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
you can't compare those

I have to say that I'm less than impressed with the cutting capacity of most grizzly band saws (without a riser block) when compared to the pro version of the Jet or Rikon that come with the riser block. The only grizzly to have more than 6" or 6 1/2" cutting capacity are 17"ers.

Not fair to compare those without to those with, they are not the same. The 17" inchers are a welded frames, except Rikon Pro, while the 14" Grizzly's are cast iron frames. Any cast iron frame can accept a riser block since they are all clones. Even a Harbor Freight riser will work on a Delta and Grizzly's risers will also work.

Pretty sweet saw and 3 HP motor:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rikon-14-...csepg00000000000000000000000000000101&veh=cse

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
.....Right now I'm looking at Grizzly along with Powermaitc, and Rinkon. What's the consensus?
of the three, if you are inclined to spend a lot for an average saw, then powermatic is the brand for you. they cost a lot but the other two brands are more than able to do whatever a PM does at a lower cost. i have a rikon 10340, predecessor to the 10-456. it's a great, great saw. there are usually sales around year end of rikon 14" (10-325) and a larger saw (10-345 last year) that get prices at or below $1000. right now, the grizz 17" anniversary saw that's ~$800 (reduced $100) is a really nice saw. i had a chance to look it over in the muncy show room and it looked to be well built and substantial. with grizzly, you get the most bang for the buck. with rikon, you get a great product and a first rate company behind it. with PM, you get a greater expense and the same performance as the others.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Did some research and yes you were right about powermatic. I ended up going with a so far unmentioned 1 3/4 hp 14|12 Laguna. I've set it up and made some test cuts that went perfectly. I do have to say I am not happy with the blade guides, I was expecting micro adjust and didn't get it. It makes a strange sound while running, like the blade is rubbing on something but cant quite figure it out yet. Despite the helpful advice of Mr. Snodgrass I may try the dollar bill method to get the ceramic guides line up just right.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just checking carter products... but at $300 + ill see how much of a pain they are before making a move.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts