Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I pi$$ed away the last few weeks of work on a loft bed, all in a matter of 15 minutes. I designed the loft so that it can be broken down and moved. The front/back rails are held to the left/right sides with furniture bolts. The front/back rails are recessed in a dado in the left/right sides, along with wooden dowels. The problem came up when I was drilling clearance holes for the bolts into the ends of the front/back rails. I made sure the bit was perpendicular in ONE direction but not the other. :thumbdown: So now when the frame is assembled there is a twist in the front/back rails. It's not much, but it makes the entire frame look shabby.

How do I drill holes that are square to a face? Beside using a drill press.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Many years ago I picked up a B&D hand drill that had a light on the back of it. It is smart enough to light up if you are drilling level or plumb, which leaves just straight for you to figure out. I've gone through three batteries with mine, and love it. It also has a pop-off chuck that lets you keep a driver bit and drill bit in it at the same time. I don't know if they still make it, but those simple concepts/features have improved the holes I drill, and make me angry when I have to use any other drill on the market.

·
Registered
336 Posts
4DThinker.,,, I also have one of those B&D Firestorm drills and love it. Very handy and I use it often. Infact I had two of them, and seemed to have lost one.

·
Registered
26,979 Posts
Most people when they drill a hole they look at the hole. It's better to look at the drill shaft to see if it's 90 degrees both ways from the wood surface. As far as freehand drilling a hole, this will come closer to results like using a drill press. There are tools available which will make it easy. I believe Woodcraft sells this Precision Drill Guide.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For future reference. I was browsing the newest woodcraft mailing and came across this. It seems to be almost exactly what I was thinking of making.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Big Gator Drill Guide

This drill guide is also sold at Rockler in Ca. abt $25. It is hardened steel, does not get scratched (even when dropped on concrete). Just make sure it is clamped so it doesn't move.
Xsmem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts