Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I first sent an E-mail to myself, then was able to post, but now when wanted to post more, via POST QUICK REPLY a different symbol showed up, so haven't figured out how to do such.

My first posting had a PAPER CLIP symbol, but using the REPLY the PAPER CLIP SYMBOL doesnt show up. I will try the ATTACHMENT symbol, and see what happens.

Any comments are most welcome,

Dale in Indy

P.S. As you can see from next post, I figured it out.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Test of posting pic's

Ok, this is a wood piece. No plans, No instruction, No model to compare with, and NOT a kit. All from scratch. I had only the two pictures shown in post # 1 to go buy. 30" long, 7-1/2" wide, 11" tall. A lot of thought process, and jig making. Over 400 hours, including testing, etc. I'm a detail person, and this has as you will see has a lot of detail.

It is as you will see, the finish is as smooth as any car finish. The prep work was extensive, all DuPont automotive finishes.

Since this piece was just been finished, I will post in rapid order some of the build pic's/process.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
And about time!
There's not much point in having your skill, and not showing what you can do.
I'm really happy that your posting your work.
It's Great Stuff.

Bring it on Dale. :thumbsup:

Rep.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test of posting pic's

And on the build goes on, the flames were a real task. My goal was to pull the thin line tape, and have NO bleed through. Some people pin stripe the edges, but I didn't want that. I also didn't want to feel the flame lines after clear, and I am please with the results. I give the paint an A-.

Laying the 3-M chrome tape required a jig, and even then lots of time. The adhesive is so gripping, that just barely touching the surface would mean failure. All in all the chrome came out great, if I may say so myself. LOL.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Test of posting pic's

More, getting close to the finished piece.

GM built 12 FuturLiner buses in 1940, they were very under powered. Dad was with Buick for over 60 years, so I grew up with strong loyalty to Buick. I always liked the straight eight engine, so I change my bus to be Buick inspired.

The Buick engine head had 8 exhaust ports, and 4 intake. I installed injection stacks instead of carbs.

The Buick copper script on the front is an actual 1936 Buick grill piece.

As a kid growing up in the 50's we had what we called STRAIGHT PIPES, well they weren't STRAIGHT, but I wanted this one to be straight, thus the design.

The frame is also designed after the Buick 40's 'X' frame, and is removable.

The headlights are part of a fake diamond bracelet, one is off center a bit in the picture, but has been corrected.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Test of posting pic's

Coming to the finish. In 1940 GM built 12 FuturLiner buses, but this one is my Hot Rod version.

I have lots and lots more build pic's, but this gives you an idea of the build.

Dale in Indy

P.S. We are flying to Fl. tomorrow, so will be off line for a bit. Be SAFE.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I remember straight pipes very well. Even had a set or two. :laughing:

If buses looked as cool as that one, I'd ride them more often. Heck I might even consider driving one. Beautiful job.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Sorry I'm late to this one. My attendance here as of late has been pretty spotty, as you know. This came out great, Dale! Your work never fails to make me smile. You always manage to get the curves just right and the finish is always flawless. I love how you take on these seemingly impossible-to-perfect projects and make an amazing piece of sculpture every time.

This bus is a real winner for sure. Beautiful, beautiful work. I'm blown away as always.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Test of posting pic's

Ok, to answer gideon's question,

1st. picture is the GOOGLE LOCOMOTIVE I finished yesterday. It is 30" long, color is OIL RUBBED BRONZE, NICKEL METALLIC, and COPPER. My cheap camera doesn't show color correct, sorry...

2nd pic. is early 1960 piece, walnut with cool hinges, not an easy piece to make.

3rd. is 44" walnut shelf, solid, and some other things I made.

4th. is steel table I made, sliding drawer is piece of new exhaust tubing, also the Cross shadow on the table is a piece I call FROM THE CROSS COMES NEW LIFE, thus the flower.

This posting would only allow me to post 4 pic's so will do a couple more in a few.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Test of posting pic's

Here are a few more pic's.

This 1st. pic is of a purchased piece, design was used to create the credenza pictured below.

2nd. & 3rd. of door arrangement of credenza made in early 60's, when I was a YOUNG guy, hehehe.

4th. is of fireplace, sculpture and screen I made.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
* The pointed shelf is 5-1/2" out from wall, and 3" tall, and 44" long. Solid walnut, all hand shaped, with recessed mounting brackets, so of course is flush with wall. Dark Watco oil finish.

* The server/credenza is plywood, walnut veneer, solid drawer fronts. It is 18" deep, 30" tall, and 54" wide. Legs are dyed black, and buffed with wax. Hinge blocks are hard wood, dyed black too.

* We purchased the tall cabinet in Saginaw, Michigan. A few years ago we traveled to Grand Rapids to visit the furniture museum in hopes to find pictures of other items that may have been part of a series. The company went out of business in the late 60's, and all materials we found showed NOTHING that resembled our piece. I have a tag listing the company name, but can't seem to put my hands on it right now.

We have had lots of compliments on the pieces, we both love contemporary things.

NOT FOR SALE, hehehe.

One more thing, in the 70's I made an open book rack/shelf assembly with the leg design, may take a picture and post. I had forgotten about it, bride reminded me today, it's in our lower level.

Any other questions? Fire away.

Dale in Indy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts