Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about buying a tenoning jig (specifically the Grizzly) for use on my SawStop....first, is it really worth having this jig....seems to me that you can do the same thing with a dado blade and the miter guage.....second, is the Grizzly a pretty good jig, assuming it will fit on my saw....any known problems....thanks for your help.....

·
where's my table saw?
30,405 Posts
that's covered pretty well here...

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/tenon-jig-table-saw-opinions-needed-51420/

You can buy one or build one, I've done both.
The commercial ones have a micro adjustment for when you don't want the tenon centered on the stock. I'm sure you can build one that way but in my case, I didn't need it. Mine rides the fence, not the miter slot, so for small adjustments I can move the fence.

·
7,222 Posts
i've been thinking about buying a tenoning jig (specifically the grizzly) for use on my sawstop....first, is it really worth having this jig....seems to me that you can do the same thing with a dado blade and the miter guage.....second, is the grizzly a pretty good jig, assuming it will fit on my saw....any known problems....thanks for your help.....
I pondered about getting a tenon jig for the times when I need to make a cut on the end of a piece.

I ended up making a jig which mounts on my table saw fence. I do not have vertical stops, I just use my square to set the piece then clamp.

If I were making a tenon, this is faster than a dado blade - only because I have to take off the normal blade and then put on the dado blades.

For some reason I did not make the overall jig width 10in which would have allowed me to use the fence ruler to position the cut. Hind sight. If I make another one it will be exactly 10in wide.

Tool Table saws Tool accessory Jointer Wood

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I've made tenons both ways and my current preferred way is the tenoning jig with a dado blade.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You can do the same thing with a miter gauge and dado blade, but the cheeks aren't as smooth. I have the Delta tenoning jig, and kind of think of like my biscuit joiner. It's not a tool that really earns it's keep, but it's pretty handy from time to time. The difference is you can easily make a shop built one that works just as well.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
I've purchased one and made one. It is the shop built jig that I use all the time. The shop built one slides on my fence. The fence ruler can be used to control the cut.

Save your money and build one. Less than $10 for the plywood and maybe $15 for the clamps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts