Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy an entire set in the smaller ranges. Some are extravanagly priced Like This One!
I am wondering what brands you guys have that you are happy with the performance/price ratio.
I can't justify spending $2000 on a set of tenon cutters unless I was going to be making a living using them all day everyday.

I haven't checked out Veritas yet but I know they make them.
i have one 2" low quality that I can't find a brand name on,; it works okay but will not stand up to the use it's fixing to see.

·
Registered
404 Posts
WOW Kev......those are expensive.......

I have Veritas 1", 1 1/2" and 2"... Had them for quite a number of years. I've always wanted one bigger than 2" but Veritas only goes to 2". The ones you posted go bigger, but how can ya justify those when you just use them a few times a year?? But do we really need to justify buying any tool???

The Veritas ones are okay. The could have better cutters in them. Constant sharpening slows down the job. They say to sharpen their cutters with a 1 1/2" sanding drum. I use a diamond beveled hone. Works good and makes the cutters last longer. In the past 10 years I've replaced the cutters once.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found them in Log Home Living Magazine so perhaps they truly are industrial grade.

I have always been happy with every Veritas tool I have purchased, but these cutters are going to be cutting hickory, osage, walnut, and yes some softer woods but the hardwoods we'll be using are harder than your average hardwood.

I think I'll shop around some more based on your stating you have to re-sharpen often.

I want to avoid that even I have to pay more. Maybe I will go ahead and order one Veritas to try out, and if it doesn't perform on the hardwoods like I need I can always relegate it to cedar and pine etc.

Thanks

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check this out. A tool which covers anything from 3/4" up to 3" all in one tool.
Needs a pilot hole and so the potential drawback I see is if you don't get the hole lined up like you want radially, your angle won't be like you want maybe.

I would like to see some user reviews maybe check amazon and see if it sells there.

I do see a really big possible advantage though in that you could adjust the tenon to be a hair bigger than the drill bit size. You could drill a 1/2" hole and size a tenon 33/64" . . . in theory.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Veritas cutters

I have been using the Veritas tennon cutters for 2 years in my woodworking business. I've built quite a few beds and other log furniture projects with no real problems, just the usual adjustments of the blades.

Also check out this web page http://loghelp.com/tools/tenoncut.html for a real sweet addition to your tools for log furniture. Towards the bottom is a Tennon Cutter system that includes a drill carriage for a 3/4" drill. I found the drill on another site for about $450. Don't remember where though. The self centering clamp is a nice feature that really saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Somehow I missed this thread but I have the barker tennon cutters at the top of the page on the Bosworth site. I don't use them everyday but have not had any trouble for what I have used them for. I put in the White Cedar handrail material that I can get locally at a Log home place. I made my own table to mount my drill to and the drill is on a sled that is operated by a lever. The log lays in a trough and gets held in place by a ratchet clamp. I'm not real happy with the clamping system but until I do something better it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts