Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of tenon cutters I'm using to cut some 1/2" by 3" pegs. Since they're pegs im cutting them parallel to the grain and probably as a result of that they smoke pretty badly when I use them. Is there a good way to reduce the heat... faster speed on my drill press (currently pretty slow) or something else?

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
I have a set of these. I use them to make plugs. I am drilling into face grain.

If they are smoking due to heat build-up I would not go faster, since that will generate even more heat.

The wood may have resins which are causing the burning. Try a test in another piece of scrap of different species, just to see if they cut the same.

You can try honing the cutting edges to ensure they are as sharp as you can get. Also may need to back off the drill several times to allow it to cool.

Plan "B" will be to get a different cutter. These Lee Valley cutters are designed to cut with less heat. I just purchased by first one, a 7/8in diameter and it does cut a lot easier than my set which looks like your set.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=42292&cat=1,180,42288&ap=1

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did look into those but figured with the extra length offered by these they'd be more versatile. I checked my drill press this morning and apparently its set higher than i though (900 rpm)... is that my problem?

·
7,222 Posts
I did look into those but figured with the extra length offered by these they'd be more versatile. I checked my drill press this morning and apparently its set higher than i though (900 rpm)... is that my problem?
I think so. I would try a slower speed, more in the 500-600 rpm range.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
check the mfr recommended rpm - maybe that will help. also, besides checking for a good cutting edge, you may try some tool cleaner then some tool coating. it helps in situations like this.

·
Registered
909 Posts
When I was using forstner bits to make mortises in some SYP I used some light machine oil on the bits or they'd smoke. I haven't had that problem in any other wood, but depending on what you're using it might help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts