Woodworking Talk banner

Tennoning jig. Thinking of ordering plans. Opinions?

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Pirate 
#1 ·
I was checking out some of the cool stuff on woodgear.ca and am quite impressed by the guy's tenon jig. I'm thinking of ordering his plan (only $11). It looks like it'll be a quick, easy (well, except for the building of the jig itself) way to cut accurate tenons. I was wondering what you guys think of it. Is it worthy?

http://woodgears.ca/tenon/jig.html

There's a video of it in action further down on the page I linked to.

#3 ·
I do agree that it's more complicated than necessary. And it would take, probably, quite a bit more effort to make than is required to accomplish the same task. It looks to be potentially very accurate. And, to me, it has a definite cool factor.

I guess I was hoping for people to say "Heck yeah, that's awesome! You need to build one right away!".

Would I be insane to buy the plan and build it? Maybe I'll just go with a tall fence and be happy with that. That's really all I need to do the job.

#5 · (Edited)
or hell yes build this one

Scotty's in cool, but I think it rides the fence. I can't ride my Delta Unisaw fence so I came up with this one. It's basically 3 blocks of wood all at right angles, a horizontal to run against the fence, a vertical to hold the work and another one on edge and extending out to prevent it from tipping over. A stop is added to the tall vertical to mount the hold downs and to keep the work piece vertical. ;) bill

BTW all the pieces must be totally square to each other and the table!

Reactions: Chaincarver Steve
#6 ·
Nothing like ridiculous degrees of overkill to make a simple cut, huh? Maybe some day then. But not today.
I could conceivably come up with other handy uses for it as well.

Thanks for the picture of yours. I guess my tenon jig will be something along those lines instead.

#9 ·
I was wondering where you guys put all these self made monsters after you make them. My shop is only 18' X 22' and when it comes to needing a tool I have to consider the storage aspect. Yes, I do have home made jigs, but only if the price of the store bought tool to do the job is out of sight. If the store bought tool is under a $100.00, I shop around and buy it because usually something made of metel will not sit in a corner and dry out or warp. Just rust maybe. You can buy a good tenon jig for under $75.00. Just a thought! :innocent:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.