Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up an 18" Hobby Hawk scroll saw for a good price, but hadn't heard much about the brand until I started doing some research. At this point, I don't know what model it is, so once I have that, I can do more, but wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on this brand.

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Pictures added

It's much rougher looking than I thought it was going to be. May end up passing on this one and just biting the bullet and picking up a DW788

Attachments

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Tim - I'm guessing a little here but that saw was likely made by RBI Hawk which, unfortunately, went out of business about 2 years ago. It was bought by Bushton Industries in Bushton, KS and has slowly been coming back. They have a few product lines including a jointing system (not a jointer), some scrollsaws and a very unique tilting router table.
I don't know if they would be able to provide support for that saw or not, especially without a model number. Although, now that I think about it "Hobby Hawk" may be the model and no number needed.
At any rate, it may be worth a phone call to see what, if anything, they have in terms of support the thing. Here is their website
http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/
Good luck:smile:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John...thanks for the info! I'm going to reach out to them and see if they can provide any info on this specific saw.

Seller is going to look closer at the label & motor to see if there are any identifying numbers or wording.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Pardon me, I don't know anything about scroll saws. I own one, and I see the one I have(old craftsman) listed for as little as $30 sometimes. But, it does everything I've needed it to do, so far. I just can't see spending almost $500 on one. You went from a beat up one to a brand new one that costs almost $500?

There's this for $15 just 15 minutes away from columbus, and this is $150 just 25 minutes from columbus. Both new, both hundreds less. There's tons more in the area, too. I know you already bought it, and there's nothing wrong with wanting quality tools. Other than the size(the 788 is larger than both of my finds), what would make you want to spend that much?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
All good questions. I've bought my fair share of second-hand tools and stuff from HF, and decided that after all the research I did and long-term plans I have, so I ended up deciding this purchase was the best one for me to make. But you said it yourself, "why spend that much?" Simple answer, I now only want quality tools in my shop. I mainly use Hitachi and Dewalt tools at this point, but still have some old black & decker as well as some craftsman stuff that I bought years ago when I first got into woodworking.

It's like my kayaking & guitar playing hobbies, I started out with less than high-end equipment and as my skills and talents got better, so did my equipment. I went from a crappy $100 kayak to owning 1 $1100 perception kayak & 1 $800 wilderness systems kayak. The difference is significant and I thoroughly enjoy getting out on the water on these two boats whenever I can. When I started playing guitar when I was 14 years old, I had a decent Washburn acoustic guitar that I learned on, but as I got better, the washburn just didn't have the sound or playability that I desired. 24 years later, I have a Taylor, 2 Takamines, and a few others that do.

If I'm going to invest in improving upon a hobby that I really enjoy, I'm going to go ahead and invest in quality equipment (not saying you can't get that on CL from time to time.) Hope that answers your inquiry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts