Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for this type of screw under numerous terms (socket head, truss head, button head, cap screw etc etc) with no luck until I found this picture however the text was in Chinese. Anybody know the technical term and/or where I can find them in 1/4"-20? (I need them for my Biesemeyer fence reface) Thanks!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
When you find them, wanna let us know? I need a few as well for some upcoming projects.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've searched for this type of screw under numerous terms (socket head, truss head, button head, cap screw etc etc) with no luck until I found this picture however the text was in Chinese. Anybody know the technical term and/or where I can find them in 1/4"-20? (I need them for my Biesemeyer fence reface) Thanks!

Those are button head bolts, Lowes has them, just look in the specialty bolt bins in hardware. They will be in the bins with the pull out drawers.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Button heads are generally a rounded top. I'm not saying that Lowes doesn't have them under that name. I think that is the problem " there is no technical name unless you know the use, threads etc. I have seen some really close that are for gun grips sold in sets of 4 they are called grip screws. Go figure. :laughing:

So what use, size, thread etc might help narrow it down more. You've got me curious as well. I see them all the time but never looked for them or had a need to know the technical name before this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks guys! I can find similar ones under different names however they all have the dome shaped button heads instead of the wide flat ones as shown. In any case I found them and it looks like they are called "joint connector bolts". :smile:

http://monsterfastener.com/itemview.aspx?itm=CBB-086&gclid=COvVxrKxzrsCFU5gfgodLgYAPA
Lowes has those too, but they call them post screws...lol...different from your original posts which are bolts I thought, and the ones I bought, which also use an allen head I got in the hardware bin for bolts. These will probably be in the screw dept.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_475845-3767...1&currentURL=?Ntt=allen+head+bolts&facetInfo=

edit: Need to check these close, bolts have machine threads, way different then screws even if they look the same. I would think you need the bolts as opposed to screws for your fence

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again guys! Crazy thing is my wife just saw this over my shoulder and said "aren't those the things you use to connect cabinets together?" Doh!!! I have a whole box of them out in the shop! :blush:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks again guys! Crazy thing is my wife just saw this over my shoulder and said "aren't those the things you use to connect cabinets together?" Doh!!! I have a whole box of them out in the shop! :blush:

:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing::laughing:...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These things sure have a lot of different names! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
snip
edit: Need to check these close, bolts have machine threads, way different then screws even if they look the same. I would think you need the bolts as opposed to screws for your fence
Difference between a bolt and a screw, that is something we could argue about for days. :laughing:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Difference between a bolt and a screw, that is something we could argue about for days. :laughing:
:laughing:...:laughing:...ya I still haven't figured it out, I just know there is a difference. I usually just try it, if it doesn't jam up on me within a few turns, I call it good and move on...:laughing:...but I do scratch my head some times times, I use to think if it had a point it was screw and if it was flat it's a bolt, but that doesn't seem to apply any more...:no:

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
:laughing:...:laughing:...ya I still haven't figured it out, I just know there is a difference. I usually just try it, if it doesn't jam up on me within a few turns, I call it good and move on...:laughing:...but I do scratch my head some times times, I use to think if it had a point it was screw and if it was flat it's a bolt, but that doesn't seem to apply any more...:no:
I have made up some guide strips to determine the type of thread, this is the SAE sizes that are common, I also have ones for Metric and BA threads that I use working on model steam engines.

threadstrip.jpg

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm not sure of the name, but I've used them at work. The ones I use have an allen head. They also come with a threaded insert for the end. They're used to connect cabinets together. They leave a better finish than countersunk wood screws.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts