Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have some old teak furniture badly in need of restoration and after reading up some guides I used steelwool and soap to clean it and then sanded it down. Here are some pics after cleaning and sanding.http://imgur.com/a/hgegh

I have Watco Danish Oil in Neutral color and also a Poly. Would that be the best combination for this or do I need to add a stain as well? Also do I need to sand this down further with higher grit before applying danish oil?

This is my first time in wood finishing and I am just worried that I might screw up.

Thanks for looking :smile:

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
If you are going to put polyurethane on the table then you could skip the watco. It would do nothing for you unless it's a water based poly. I wouldn't recommend using water based poly on teak anyway. The wood has a natural wax in it and I don't believe the water based poly would adhere very well. The table kinda has a rustic look to it with the knots and dents so I think it would be fine to use an oil finish but I would use tung oil instead of watco. Watco isn't water resistant where tung oil is. Just use 100% tung oil. Some finishes are labeled tung oil finish but are thinned varnish with a little tung oil in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. Well I have been told it's teak.. It's been in the family for almost 70 years now and my grandfather who got it is no longer with us.

Is there anyway to check?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you guys think it's not teak? Is it the lack of grains or the color? Is there anything I can do to check?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try wiping it down with mineral spirits and take another pic while it's wet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The teak that I'm used to seeing has more tight grain then that then that similar to oak but more wavy linear grain and not as tight. Maybe it is how it was sawn?

But then again, I'm no wood expert by any means, I've just been around teak before.

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
I think it's possible it could be teak. I have a customers door in storage that is made out of teak which looks just like that. The door looks nothing like the teak boards I have in my shop though. Every species of wood has a diverse appearance so it's difficult for use to tell from a picture. Sometimes you have to feel or smell the wood to tell. Since you have the table top sanded does the wood feel like it has wax on it? Most teak has a lot of natural oils in it that has the feel of wax. Normally when you put a film finish on teak you wash the wood down with acetone to reduce the oils off the surface so the finish can bond to it. There are a different woods that have the feel but if your table doesn't then it's probably not teak.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
http://imgur.com/a/A3DOU Better quality pictures here. The last 3 pictures on the album were taken after rubbing the wood with spirit.
COULD be teak.

Your idea of better pics and my idea of better pics are worlds apart. Try not taking them in the dark next time. :smile:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts