Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer, my wife got this screamin' deal on a teak patio table and 6 chairs (teak as well). The furniture is only a season or so old and the original owner opted to simply allow the wood to "silver." From talking to friends, coworkers, etc., some people evidently like this weathered look that teak takes on however I'm of the opinion that if left untreated, it will simply go to rot (I'm not a fan; the whole thing looks like driftwood, IMO). I am interested in putting some sort of finish on it to bring out the original color and have the following questions:

1. Will everything need to be sanded before doing so? Is so, to what extent? Or would power washing do the trick? The wood appears to be in good condition and I don't see any "delamination" along the grain lines.

2. Recommendations for a preservative? Would a clear Poly be sufficient (I'm not a huge fan of stains; I prefer the natural wood look)? I would guess that I'd definately want UV protection.

3. Would this be a good project to approach with an HVLP (please, please, puh-LEEEESE say yes-then I can buy one :laughing: )

Thanks for the help and opinions!

Jimmy

·
Registered
404 Posts
Jimmy,

Yes........:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Burls! Yeah, I'll buy the HVLP turbine system anyway but could you (or anyone else) please comment on the other questions!

THANX!
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I think that pressure washing with bleach will do the trick to bring the color back. You might want to check into those companies that go around and spray decks and fences bringing the color back. It might be a better solution.

Poly is not a good choice for outdoor furniture. You will need to get something that has a color too it. If you read, most of the clear outdoor stains say that they will not keep it from turning grey.

There is a product called Sikkens which is great. There is also a product called TWP that is pretty good. These are applied with a roller or brush.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also use some teak furniture oil. The teak oil will enhance the look of the wood and provide some UV protection from the sun. Teak furniture develops a patina as it ages, but retains its strength. Quality teak furniture can last for generations.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
I agree that poly is a very poor choice for outdoor furniture.

If you really want to attempt to attain a "new look" then you will need to sand thoroughly. Get the wood smooth and then apply several coats of teak oil. Pressure washing will leave a grainy, rough surface. You will have to maintain this surfact at least once a year. Depending upon how harsh the outdoor conditions are where you live, more often may be necessary. Some light sanding will probably be required each time you do the maintenance.

This constant maintenance is one of the reasons that many people like to let their teak go "silver."

After writing all of this I noticed that this is an old topic. Oh well. I wonder how his furniture is doing?
George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts