Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used it many times in the past with no problems, but this time it stayed sticky overnight and even out in bright sunlight this morning for a few hours .. So..I had to wipe it all off with lacquer thinner and even then a bit of it is still sticky..
I read an article saying it can go bad over time so that's what I have to assume is the case. I assume the cold weather this past winter did it.
I did get the majority cleaned up ok so I may go over some of the dry, dull areas with a quick wipe of BLO.. This was on dry eastern red cedar made into a planter .. I've made dozens of them using the same teak oil and it usually dries within an hour or so..
Ever experienced such a problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used it many times in the past with no problems, but this time it stayed sticky overnight and even out in bright sunlight this morning for a few hours .. So..I had to wipe it all off with lacquer thinner and even then a bit of it is still sticky..
I read an article saying it can go bad over time so that's what I have to assume is the case. I assume the cold weather this past winter did it.
I did get the majority cleaned up ok so I may go over some of the dry, dull areas with a quick wipe of BLO.. This was on dry eastern red cedar made into a planter .. I've made dozens of them using the same teak oil and it usually dries within an hour or so..
Ever experienced such a problem?
Not with Cedar but I can see the same incongruity that I experienced with Zircote. 90% accepted the finish with no issue. One small piece would not dry. Investigation alerted me to oil on oil issues. Natural wood oils that resist oil finishes. BLO in my case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts