Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a new wooden thumbscrew for my wife's yarn winder. The old thumbscrew is missing (never had it). The hole n the winder is about 3/8" in diam, but the threads are worn out. Can I use a coarse pipe tap and die to rethread the hole and make a new thumbscrew? Any better ideas? The winder is made of some hardwood, probably maple or cherry.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can just glue in a wood plug, then after it has dried re-drill the hole. When driving softer metal screws like Brass or Bronze I would sometimes use a regular steel screw to tap the wood so as not to to mess up the finish screw.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I need to make a new wooden thumbscrew for my wife's yarn winder. The old thumbscrew is missing (never had it). The hole n the winder is about 3/8" in diam, but the threads are worn out. Can I use a coarse pipe tap and die to rethread the hole and make a new thumbscrew? Any better ideas? The winder is made of some hardwood, probably maple or cherry.

Thanks!
You don't need a pipe tap, just a regular bolt will do the job in hardwood.

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
Threads on wood need to be a lot more coarse than that used on metal. They are much easier stripped so they need to be heavier to withstand the stresses.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts