Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I recently inherited an entire workshop of tools from my granddad, and am breaking into the woodworking scene. My tools:

Craftsman 10" radial arm saw
Craftsman miter saw
Ryobi 10" planer
homemade jointer (4"?)
Craftsman 10" table saw
Craftsman stationary belt sander
(apparently he was a fan of Craftsman...)
Craftsman scroll saw
Craftsman bench top belt sander
Craftsman bench top band saw
Delta SH100 router table
Another large stationary band saw, looks like it was made by a company called "LC" in Taiwan...any help IDing this saw would be awesome

So far, I've learned to mill my own lumber and cut with the table and miter saws. I also learned the hard way to stay clear of the ejection zone on my table saw. Turns out that 1/4 inch plywood hurts when it hits you in the gut at about 60 miles per hour, who knew?

Anyhow, I'm practicing making a picture frame right now with some cheap lumber. If it turns out nice, I'd like to honor the memory of my granddad with my next project. His wife is still living, and I'd really like to salvage some wood from their old barn to frame an old picture of them with that barn in the background to give my grandma.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm sure you've learned this after learning the hard way, but there is a lot f good info on this site regarding tablesaw safety and avoiding kickback - technique, having flat and straight boards and saftmety devices (e.g. A riving knife).

You don't mention hand tools in your list? I started thinking I needed every power tool in the shop and ended up concentrating on hand tools instead. Many have found that a good combination is best. I do wish that I had a nicely outfitted shop like that available to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, not much in the way of hand tools. Thankfully, it seems I have the most expensive stuff already. If you ever plan a trip down this way (the Masters tournament, maybe?), let me know. You're welcome to stop in and share a frosty beverage in the shop.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome from NH. Careful with the frosty stuff around the tools - they don't mix well.

Like railaw advised, learn and understand your saws and do use push sticks - best tool in my workshop. I'm sure your grandfather appreciates his tools being used by you so honor him with a simple picture frame.

Sounds like he bought lots of Craftsman tools back in his days like my Dad did. I'm of the opinion their new tools don't measure up to their old ones - but I can say that about a few other brands. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard, where in Georgia are you I'm in St. Mary's

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts