Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with the talking ads that you can't mute???? I've had this sight drop the internet connection so many times, had ads run thru the posting text, and now talking videos that I can't mute. This is a great sight but this is starting to get a little ridiculous.

HJ

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
its always sad when they make the ads so invasive that you have to block them completely... kinda counter productive isnt it? but then again, studies show that we can ignore static banner ads without even missing a beat, so they kind of had to do something...

·
Registered
571 Posts
The problem for the web site is that the blocked ads don't get counted. When you turn off autoplay the ads count. Also, it lets the static ads through. Those aren't disruptive so I tolerate them.

WWT has actually chosen the worst approach for ads, though. On my PC, when they run they cause all sorts of odd effects - pages jumping around at random. Plus someone is using a cheapo cut rate ad servers that is super slow and just bogs the whole experience down. The page gets reformatted when the ad server gets around to send the ad out. Inadvertently mouse over a double underlined keyword and get a fricking video. It's just begging to get turned off. Worse, they do it with pretty ridiculously common words and tie meaningless ads to them. Static ads aren't bad if they have some relevance. Like for a tool that you were commenting one or something you did a search on.

On the page that I am writing this there are 5 flash ads (but not autostarted due to me turning it off) and 2 static ads. One of the static ads is for brackets that I have been looking at so it reminds me who's selling them and is effective. The other is for a diamond engagement ring company - that's a waste of ad dollars and will be forgotten in 5 minutes. The autostart ads include a skyscraper format ad that always forces resizing and because it's hooked to that slow ad server it kicks in after I've started reading so, Bam!, the page displays jerks around.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
Since Nathan, the WWT has been sold twice. The second owners were not very tolerant and were just going to have things their way about things and weren't sympathetic to the members' wants. The owners now are caring and do want the best for the members, we just have to let them know.

I will forward this to Cricket and I am sure she will forward it to the owners. There is much planned for the WWT which is very good and very encouraging. I do know they will want to know about this situation with the speaking ads and such. In the past they have taken care of that on the other forums they own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts