Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright everybody, I have been putting this off for a very long time. I completed my new workshop about 10 months ago but still seem to be putting in the finishing touches. I decided to go with a 16x24 building with high ceilings. (and named this thread 12x24 by accident! Mod please change to 16) I will post this in separate sections (darn 5 image limit) explaining what was done and I have over 250 pictures to choose from to illustrate the process. Ready.. set... go!

Starting a long long time ago (March 2012)

Here is the base framing. I knocked this out in a couple of days with my brother-in-law helping.
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
Here is a google earth image - they happened to catch me working.
IMG_1811.JPG

I received shipment, I was excited until I saw how much they damaged by dropping it this way. :censored:
IMG_1126.JPG

I laid down the deck and started framing right away:
IMG_1133.JPG

More to come!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More framing:

IMG_1143.JPG

Decided to put in 4 windows. I found windows on Craigslist for $10 each with 7 total windows. ended up using 4 and selling the other 3 almost breaking even.
IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

I decided to build two closets, the small closet will have my network/audio equipment in it and enough space for a toilet (future plan). The closet on the right will have my DC in it.
IMG_1160.JPG

Put in the loft above the closets:

IMG_1165.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is an 8 month difference between the last post and this one. During the build of the base platform I made a terrible mistake and lifted the entire 16x24 base (before decking). I wasnt successful moving it the 2 inches that I wanted too but did give myself a hernia. Surgery and 6 months away from hard labor later I was able to continue the build (although limited still by pain).

First three were easy. I did these by myself because I was being impatient and because they were above the loft.
IMG_1603.JPG

Installed a door.
IMG_1605.JPG

I am lucky to have the help of my father and brother in law to help do a lot of the hard work from here on out. Putting in the trusses did have a few more friends involved which made it go by in a couple of hours.

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed Decking on the roof. Thankful to have a wife who is willing to get up there and work!

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

Complete with moisture barrier.

IMG_1623.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With some beautiful weather and a willing helper the tin roof went up in a days time. I honestly did not even set foot on that roof - my wife and her brother did all the hard work while I brought them sheets and held it from the bottom.

IMG_1683.JPG

If you look towards the bottom you can see that I got some windows put in at some point.
IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

Started electrical as soon as I had a roof over my head.

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insulation and electrical going in:

IMG_1769.JPG

Proof that I went overboard on my electrical outlets. 220 at the lower height and 110 higher.
IMG_1795.JPG

Much needed heating and cooling.
IMG_1803.JPG

I bought this, used it, broke it, returned it. not worth the investment.
IMG_1874.JPG

The start of drywall:
IMG_1912.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tape mud and the boring stuff:
IMG_1990.JPG

Painting with my helpers:
IMG_2034.JPG

Final color:
IMG_2024.JPG

During the 8+ months of being exposed to the elements the decking has rotted. I decided to pull it all up now instead of moving expensive machinery on top of it.
IMG_2045.JPG

Its a good thing I pulled up the floor, it was worse than I thought.
IMG_2052.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed it up right.
IMG_2054.JPG

Replaced the rotted sheets and put down a second layer with glue between.
IMG_2064.JPG

Finished floors feel strong, I actually jumped on them a lot saying "look how awesome this is!" :icon_smile:
IMG_2074.JPG

Just as I went in overkill mode for electrical I did the same with lights. I lucked out and found all of my lights on craigslist. I paid $250 for $800+ (retail) worth of lights.

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First thing to go in the shop was my brand new lung savers

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

Then came in a shipment I have been looking forward to for a VERY long time!!! :icon_smile:

New drill press, bandsaw, edge sander, & drum sander.
IMG_2107.JPG

That's all that I would consider to be part of my shop build. I have since started the long process of organization in the shop but will keep them separate from this thread.

Thanks for looking! let me know what you think.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very good turnout. I will likely end up building something similar in a year or two.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MasterSplinter said:
WOW That is a serious build. Looks like an unlimited budget. Awesome new tools too.
If it WAS unlimited I would have built it 3 times larger, I already feel cramped. But that is only in my dreams.

As far as budget I did go over by about 20%. Mostly because I had to repurchase some materials after it sat exposed to weather for so long.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Okay, this is cool. I am very tempted to build an outbuilding in my yard as well. But a couple of things surprised me. First, I am amazed code allows you to build a structure of that size with no other foundation that those blocks. Nothing seems to secure it to the ground. Are you in an area with frost? If I did that the building would heave. Also would be worried about high winds. I am also surprised that you didn't use any hangers for the floor joists. I am not a contractor by any stretch but perhaps someone in the trades could comment. Other than that, nice job. Very ambitious project.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LearnByDoing said:
Okay, this is cool. I am very tempted to build an outbuilding in my yard as well. But a couple of things surprised me. First, I am amazed code allows you to build a structure of that size with no other foundation that those blocks. Nothing seems to secure it to the ground. Are you in an area with frost? If I did that the building would heave. Also would be worried about high winds. I am also surprised that you didn't use any hangers for the floor joists. I am not a contractor by any stretch but perhaps someone in the trades could comment. Other than that, nice job. Very ambitious project.

I am in Texas where frost line isn't an issue. The foundation is standard for this area but I did not show everything. I am required to dig down 18" and put crushed stone to place the blocks on. Also required to put "hurricane ties" on two corners vertical to each other - these ties are essentially anchors that go down a few feet and then spread apart and then tie with heavy wire/cable. As far as the hangers - they are not required by building code in this area but if I had it all to do over again they would be used.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very interesting. Makes sense. I think it probably saves a ton in construction cost. Here in the north east with that size building on a standard slab, the foundation alone would probably be $8-12k. Not sure if there are other alternatives however.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LearnByDoing said:
Very interesting. Makes sense. I think it probably saves a ton in construction cost. Here in the north east with that size building on a standard slab, the foundation alone would probably be $8-12k. Not sure if there are other alternatives however.
I looked at doing a Slab but wanted the building moveable for the future. The home I am in now will be a rental in the future and I will move this workshop to a new home or take it to my business property and use it as office space (I wired it with lots of data drops just for this reason).

The cost savings was about $7000 to do it this way instead of slab.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It will be interesting to know if it settles much in a few years. My 10x10 is built the same way as yours and after 5 years I had to have it leveled due to settling or the doors would not open.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts