Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to woodworking, and will probably get another tool in the near future but until I figure out if this is really a hobby for me I don't want to buy all the tools I want.

Currently I have a full set of Dewalt cordless tools, along with a circular saw and a very nice Bosch router that my wife just bought me. The tools that I would want in the future (if space and money allow) are a jointer, planer, table saw and a router table. Drill press and band saw are probably on the list as well.

I have been thinking that I can get through most things with a router and circular saw by using a fence clamped onto the stock. The two tools I keep looking at are a router table and a table saw though. I think a table saw should be first on the list... is this the best approach?

For table saws I have done a ton of research and would like to buy used but I live in South Dakota so craigslist rarely has any and most of them are to far gone. For new ones I have looked at the Porter Cable (http://tinyurl.com/mre4to8) and the craftsman (http://tinyurl.com/ksy5ueu).

I am leaning towards the Craftsman one since I have read some bad things about the PC. The comparable Rigid one looks nice too but I don't have a Home Depot within 200 miles of me.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I am new to woodworking, and will probably get another tool in the near future but until I figure out if this is really a hobby for me I don't want to buy all the tools I want.

Currently I have a full set of Dewalt cordless tools, along with a circular saw and a very nice Bosch router that my wife just bought me. The tools that I would want in the future (if space and money allow) are a jointer, planer, table saw and a router table. Drill press and band saw are probably on the list as well.

I have been thinking that I can get through most things with a router and circular saw by using a fence clamped onto the stock. The two tools I keep looking at are a router table and a table saw though. I think a table saw should be first on the list... is this the best approach?

For table saws I have done a ton of research and would like to buy used but I live in South Dakota so craigslist rarely has any and most of them are to far gone. For new ones I have looked at the Porter Cable (http://tinyurl.com/mre4to8) and the craftsman (http://tinyurl.com/ksy5ueu).

I am leaning towards the Craftsman one since I have read some bad things about the PC. The comparable Rigid one looks nice too but I don't have a Home Depot within 200 miles of me.
i'd make the longer trip for the ridgid, especially if a HD that honors harbor freight's "20 (now 25) % off any single item" coupon can be located. the 4512 may be had for between $375 and $400. the ridgid product also offers a 90 day satisfaction guaranty, a 3 year (not 1 year like sears) new tool guaranty and it's eligible for registration with ridgid's LSA (free repairs, parts and labor, for life) by the tool's original owner.

just sayin'.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd go with either the craftsman, or its ridgid partner. However, toolguy forgot to mention that the craftsman has a larger motor (15 amp vs 13.5)(1.75hp vs 1.5), an arbor lock which could be useful, a longer cord, and a better stock blade (although you'll want some new blades eventually anyhow).

Either saw are good saws, i'd stay away from the porter cable as a number of people have reported a plastic elevation gear which has been a problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the hybrid version of the Craftsman saw and it's a good one. I've also toyed around with the Ridgid in the store and it feels like a very well made saw. The fence is a primary concern on any table saw. It should move easily across the table and lock down solidly. HDs return policy on Ridgid saws is very good and the lifetime service warranty is one thing to consider. That would probably cause me to buy the Ridgid especially if you can use the HF coupon.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The table saw should most certainly be ahead of the router table on your list, and given the choisces you have, I'm thinking you will be ahead with the Craftsman (arghhh, did I just type that?). Be watch closely for a used one in the meantime, you may luck out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
470 Posts
Some may laugh at that DELTA for $125.00 but a BIL had one that cut hundreds of linear Ft. of Eastern Red Cedar with usually a dull blade knowing that species of wood. I was really surprised how well it ran and the accuracy of the fence.

If one is still deciding if wood work is for him and it is still listed I'd be offering Elizabeth 75 bucks if it ripped lumber without smoking and possibly even raise the anti $10.00 if need be.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't own a table saw myself because of the fear factor...

But I do own a router and a circular saw, and I would say that yeah, you probably are better off getting a table saw.

You can make a router table yourself by getting some melamine and clamping so it overhangs your table, then drill mounting holes and a hole for the bit to stick out. It would only take you an hour to make and the biggest cost is going to be the cost of the melamine.

Basically, no legs, no frills. Just a single piece of melamine with a hole in the middle big enough to fit your largest router bit through. Counter sink some holes from the top that will screw into your router base.

If yoiu need more directions, go to this link:

https://www.wwgoa.com/articles/one-great-tip/shop-made-router-plates/

And be sure to scroll down to where it says:

Faster, Easier, Safer! Make a Simple Router Table

Hey, if it works for Gary Rogowski, it should work for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah after looking at some other peoples table saws I think I going to get a saw then build a router table to sit into the extension wing. It would be wasted space on the table saw anyway so I might as well use it for something

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
by the way, how have people gotten HD to take the 25% off coupon? store manager?
i have. on tools and even generators. BTW, it usually works a whole lot better if you're standing there and convincing them to honor the coupon. calling on the phone will almost certainly result in a refusal. if they agree over the phone, get the name of the associate making the statement and hurry over. better $100-$125 in your pocket than theirs.

·
John
3,028 Posts
If there is a Harbor Freight near a Home Depot, one can usually get them to honor to coupon. The nearest Harbor Freight to my Home Depot is 120 miles one way, I just get giggles. :thumbdown:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts