Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this used table saw from a friend without inspecting it closely, gave my precious one to my brother and then discovered the fence doesn't lock properly. I've never had this type of clamping system on my table saw fence and don't know what it is missing/why it's not working.
I don't know the brand except that it's a 12" saw made in Taiwan, the only information is model # SC - 12

The only other thing I can add is that I assumed the wheel on the clamping lever would make contact with the bar of the table however (as demonstrated in the photo with the ruler) the wheel does not even come close which makes me assume there is a piece missing.
If anyone has any suggestions, or a table saw fence with a similar system please help me get my fence working!!
Thanks!
Misha

Attachments

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Can you take a few more pictures?
Show the entire saw (maybe from front, right side and back.
Show the entire complete fence sitting on the saw.
I can’t help with the pictures shown.

·
RAM Man
766 Posts
I think your best course of action would be to call your friend and ask his what's up with the fence.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
Typically .....

A fence locks by a "camming" action, that is a circle with a off center hole, which in your case may be the wheel you reference....?

Also, instead of the wheel rubbing directly on the round rail, there may be a "shoe" ... the missing piece, that makes contact between the wheel an the rail ... I donno?

The shoe can be a curved plate with a hole for a screw...

Biesemeyer fences operate in this manner. I may have some photos of the bottom side of mine some where on this computer ...I donno?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A fence locks by a "camming" action, that is a circle with a off center hole, which in your case may be the wheel you reference....?

Also, instead of the wheel rubbing directly on the round rail, there may be a "shoe" ... the missing piece, that makes contact between the wheel an the rail ... I donno?

The shoe can be a curved plate with a hole for a screw...

Biesemeyer fences operate in this manner. I may have some photos of the bottom side of mine some where on this computer ...I donno?

Yes this is what I mean. The cam is there but yes it must be missing the shoe. What do you mean by a curved plate? Would it be something like this? # 10

There is a pin on my machine where #19 would be on this diagram and it is currently holding nothing.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
Yes. that's what I meant

The "shoe" is part no. 10 .... also a slightly curved plate with a hole for a bolt...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the purpose of having a curved shoe? Would be to create a spring effect?
Also do you have any idea if those are available universal or only model specific? I can't imagine finding parts for this saw I can't even find a manual.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
It need not be curved

What is the purpose of having a curved shoe? Would be to create a spring effect?
Also do you have any idea if those are available universal or only model specific? I can't imagine finding parts for this saw I can't even find a manual.
You can probably use just a bent strap of 1/8" cold rolled steel. If you can't locate the actual part, you can make one. You can braze with a Mapp gas torch. You can use a piece of tubing brazed on the end of the metal with the appropriate size hole for the bolt. If you can't do this them make a mock up of the part from stiff cardboard and take it and the fence to a machine shop or a friend who can weld. It will be a trail and error fitting process to get it right, BUT it's dirt simple to make. :smile3:

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Your pictures came through good. The old Saw looks like it will be a good one with good rails for the fence. Even the fence looks okay, but I understand you now think a part may be missing.
More questions:
Does the fence try to lock at all?
Is it any tighter at all when you try to lock the fence?
If all the parts are still intact, there is an adjustment to tighten the fence. Of course there will be no adjustment if you determine a part is missing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your pictures came through good. The old Saw looks like it will be a good one with good rails for the fence. Even the fence looks okay, but I understand you now think a part may be missing.
More questions:
Does the fence try to lock at all?
Is it any tighter at all when you try to lock the fence?
If all the parts are still intact, there is an adjustment to tighten the fence. Of course there will be no adjustment if you determine a part is missing.
The fence currently does not do any locking. The cam part of the lever makes no contact with any other part. And there is also a pin for a shoe and the pin is currently not holding anything so I think it's reasonable to say I'm missing a part.

As for making a shoe:
All the examples I can find have a flat shoe pressing into a flat bar. Does anyone have a fence that slides on round bars with a cam and shoe? Would the shoe have an end that is the same profile as the bar (or is it also flat)? ie. a portion of pipe material

I feel like we're getting to the bottom of this. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I suggest you try your best to match-up your fence with a fence currently on the market with parts available. Even if it’s not a perfect match, if the design is very close, you might order part #10 above and install it on your fence with the attaching hardware needed.
Although there are many fence designs, most have been around for many years and the better, basic designs are copied by importers.
I think with a working fence you will be ready to go.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's following up on that ebay link, the seller sent me a link to this PDF which has a great schematic of the locking mechanism.

99 Pin
100 Rubber Bushing
101 Spring

I'm thinking if I make this I'll need to include the spring otherwise moving the fence will be a pain in the butt. It looks like the spring is under the rail? Is that what you see?

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
What link?

You should have included the link so we could see the other parts named.

Does yours look like this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should have included the link so we could see the other parts named.

Does yours look like this?
Good point, here's the link http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/5396.pdf

Mine is quite similar, not the same as the block part of the mechanism (housing for the rails) is square, so probably a different brand but still probably functions the same way. If that is your fence any chance you could take the pin out of the shoe so I can see what it looks like. By the shoe I mean part #99 on the most recent schematic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts