1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
620 Posts
The delta is a known quantity with a great fence, for which things like after market splitters, and zero clearance inserts are available, not to mention most of the parts are still available. I've had a Delta Contractors saw for years. It as possibly the best of the contractors saws.

The other two are off brands I've never heard of.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
The Delta looks to be a rather old model. IMHO priced much more than its real worth. I'm thinking $300 or less. Come on guys help me out with a number.

The Enco seems to be a better deal EXCEPT that it looks like the motor is internal to the saw. (Look at what appear to be wires going INTO the saw base on the rear left side.) I suspect that this is a bench top saw on a base with a universal motor. (Brushes) Express interest and ask for a picture of the rear of the saw. If the motor does not hang out the back like the Delta, I would pass.

I would pass on the 9" Craftsman. I'm not sure but the saw looks like one of the flexible shaft driven ones. (No parts available.) I don't see a place for a splitter or riving knife. (Safety!) Just pass.

And that comes back to the Delta..... Negotiate if you can.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The Delta is pretty steep IMO. The Cman is 9", and doesn't quite make the grade IMO.

I suspect that the Enco is one of many Taiwanese contractor saws made by Mao Shan.....other similar saws included older saws from Jet, Grizzly, PM, Ohio Forge, AFF, Omega, Woodtek, Bridgewood, and others. It says it has a belt drive motor, so if it runs well it's the best deal in the bunch IMO, but its still a little steep. I'd offer ~ $200...maybe go to $250 if it checks out.

This one is also a little steep, but is a nice saw and possibly worth a reasonable offer. http://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/4063891278.html

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with the fence of the Delta being worth a lot. However, all three are overpriced. If you go with a TS that's less than 10", you'll have a hard time finding blades.

I see older Craftsman TSs all the time on CL for $50 to $200 and they're all 10". I'd keep looking if I were you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the Enco cut well, I would go with that. It is much cheaper than the Delta and can't be that much worse.

Seems odd that neither of the 50" saws had supports; I wouldn't that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts