Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to start a new project. A dining table with leaves that has a closed length of 6 feet and explansion of 10 feet with one 24 inch leaf and two 12 inch leaves. This will be my first table with leaves. Anyone have some pointers in general to start and anyone have recommendations on sliders that will work without sag, but do not cost the ranch?

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
rlowhorn said:
About to start a new project. A dining table with leaves that has a closed length of 6 feet and explansion of 10 feet with one 24 inch leaf and two 12 inch leaves. This will be my first table with leaves. Anyone have some pointers in general to start and anyone have recommendations on sliders that will work without sag, but do not cost the ranch?
Not sure but your 6' table may not have room under for the slide rails to expand to 10'. When I have a project like this I google the net for hours to find what I need.
Slide rails can be shop built but it's a tough build.
I just finished a table with a single 18" folding leaf. It stores under the table and folds out when expanded. I knew the table needed to be flat and at the start I spent extra time facing and planing the wood. When not working on it I made sure it was stored flat.
Using a single drop down leg in the center is one answer to support and sag. It's common.
Drill the leaf pins and install them before finishing. Then plane and sand flat. I didn't and it was difficult making them line up. They all have to be in the same position expanded or not.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Al

I have been to Rockler and they seem to have sliders that will work with this table.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=765&site=ROCKLER

Specifically I am considering the 29488 or 29504. Their spec sheet

http://go.rockler.com/tech/29470-504.pdf

says that either of these would work. I am leaning to the 29504 since it will go wider and most have said the less you use of the slider the less chance of sagging. I am considering the drop down leg in the center also. Thanks for the pointers on the leaf pins. What do your think of these sliders or would you direct me otherwise.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Check out Osbourne Wood Products online they sell the slides for many size. I built a 6foot closed and opened to 9 feet with there slides and the top was 2 inch thick.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
rlowhorn said:
I have been to Rockler and they seem to have sliders that will work with this table.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=765&site=ROCKLER

Specifically I am considering the 29488 or 29504. Their spec sheet

http://go.rockler.com/tech/29470-504.pdf

says that either of these would work. I am leaning to the 29504 since it will go wider and most have said the less you use of the slider the less chance of sagging. I am considering the drop down leg in the center also. Thanks for the pointers on the leaf pins. What do your think of these sliders or would you direct me otherwise.
Looks good. That's probably the unit I would choose. I have a well outfitted shop so building them would be one of my options. Price is surprisingly fair.

Al

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Building them would be my option

Do you have any details on building slides that you would suggest. Had thought about that also. Saw one detail that suggested using a drawer slide inserted in wood, but that would be one heavy duty drawer slide.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Not sure but your 6' table may not have room under for the slide rails to expand to 10'. When I have a project like this I google the net for hours to find what I need.
Slide rails can be shop built but it's a tough build.
I just finished a table with a single 18" folding leaf. It stores under the table and folds out when expanded. I knew the table needed to be flat and at the start I spent extra time facing and planing the wood. When not working on it I made sure it was stored flat.
Using a single drop down leg in the center is one answer to support and sag. It's common.
Drill the leaf pins and install them before finishing. Then plane and sand flat. I didn't and it was difficult making them line up. They all have to be in the same position expanded or not.

Al

I have a 4' table that expands to 10'.

George

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
rlowhorn said:
Do you have any details on building slides that you would suggest. Had thought about that also. Saw one detail that suggested using a drawer slide inserted in wood, but that would be one heavy duty drawer slide.
I get most of my guidance from Fine Woodworking. Sometimes it takes a little more time to find the answer but you won't find a better source you can trust. I think #118 had a good article on table slides.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
July/Aug 1987 Fine Woodworking has a good article too.

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts